How much demand is there for level measurement technology?

How much demand is there for alternatives to the capacitance method of liquid level measurement technology? (This is the technique that involves measuring the capacitance between a probe inserted into a tank and the walls of the tank. The fluid in the tank has a different dielectric constant from air, and the amount of capacitance is used to infer the level of fluid.)

I am reading about level measurement technologies and thinking up designs for a prospective employer. Is there a big demand for new level measurement technologies? If so, I will be putting a heavy emphasis on level measurement instrumentation manufacturers in my job search.

Jason Hsu, AG4DG usenet@@@@jasonhsu.com

Reply to
Jason Hsu

Check with Taylor Hobson. They sell a very sensitive level called the Talyvel for an amazing price. it has guaranteed accuracy of .2 arc seconds. It uses an extremely light pendulum suspended by fine wires, and a pair of inductive sensors to measure the position of the pendulum. A drop of oil is used as a damper. It settles within two seconds after you set it on a surface. The Talyvel 4 set starts at 3800 UK Pounds.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jason,

Present methods of measuring liquid level that I have used include:

1 - differential pressure 2 - sonar 3 - radar 4 - magnetostrictive 5 - resistive tape 6 - capacitive 7 - nuclear 8 - servo float 9 - displacer

and there are probably others I can't think of at the moment. Read Liptak. The only way a new technology has a chance against such an array of well established alternatives is to find some specialized application in which none of the above work.

There is no demand at all for "new technologies". There is always a demand for improved solutions to old problems. In other words, the market is solution driven not technology driven.

Walter.

Reply to
Walter Driedger

Jason, RF Admittance seems to be "flavour-of-the-month" at the moment - but almost every possible level technology has been covered.

One I can think of that *is* lacking is a cost-effective (read 'cheap') non-contact point level probe for use on bitumen and other challenging substances. Enraf used to make an infra-red version of their 'AlarmScout' which worked great but apparently the manufacturer went bust, or something.

This area is already covered by radar and ultrasonics, but both of these technologies have their drawbacks when dealing with semi-liquid, heated, flammable, products.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough