What are the five fastest-growing instrumentation technologies?

From market research reports, job listings, and articles I have read, it seems that homeland security, medical applications, the energy industry, water utilities, and the defense industry are the biggest drivers of the instrumentation industry.

Some fast-growing instrumentation technologies I have identified are:

  1. Level sensing
  2. Flowmeters: One market report says that the market for flowmeters is growing rapidly and that the old turbine flowmeter technology is giving way to a variety of new technologies.
  3. Ultrasonic sensing: Ultrasonic technology is being developed for flowmeters, level measurement, and other uses.
  4. Automotive sensors
  5. Pressure sensors, including tire pressure monitors

What do you think? I am seeking a position that involves designing electronic instrumentation products. Do you consider these technologies to be fast-growing ones? Are there others I should learn about and emphasize in my job search?

Also, what are your favorite publications and web sites for information on the instrumentation industry? I have found Sensor magazine

to be the most informative. I learned about the various level measurement technologies, it covers instrumentation and sensors used in a wide variety of industries, and it points me to reports on the growth industries of the day.
even has articles on which companies have won contracts recently. This publication seems to have a higher signal/noise ratio than ANY other source of information I have found.

I have not found testandmeasurement.com very helpful - it revolves around the telecom industry. Most of the electrical engineering publications and web sites seem to revolve around the telecom, computer, and chip/semiconductor industries.

Jason Hsu, AG4DG usenet@@@@jasonhsu.com

Reply to
Jason Hsu

Jason, try

- or even better, JOIN!

You will get to mix with all kinds of people form many different areas of the instrumentation industry and then learn first-hand and up-to-date the latest market news. One of the members may even offer you a job.. :-)

.. and you will never have to talk about the chip/semiconductor industry.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

jason snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Jason Hsu) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Biomonitors, including the interface between cellular material and semiconductors, is the big target. You might have heard of "smart band- aid" technology, where a wound dressing would monitor for signs of infection, and similar goals.

Reply to
Scott Seidman