What is the "COOLEST" thing you ever made?

I have made some gates that got great reviews and I have made a couple of tables and a trailer. Unfortunately, I did not think to take any
pictures.
Anyway, what did you make that got great feedback? Not necessarily the most difficult thing but the one that seemed to impress everyone?
Mine is a knife I made out of a railroad spike, however, the spike was forged out of a piece of damascus that I also made. I made the damascus and twisted it, then I forged it to the shape of the spike and then forged and heat treated the knife. This thing has really attracted a lot of attention. EVERYBODY that sees it makes a huge fuss over it.
I just want to hear what everyone elses "That is the coolest thing" item is.
These links will show you the knife if anyone is interested.
Here is a picture of the spike after making it
http://www.warnerknives.com/images/Damascusspike1.jpg
Here is the completed knife
http://www.warnerknives.com/images/damascusspike.jpg
Bob
Nice job...........
-- "Pay peanuts.....expect monkeys."

Verry nice Bob. How much time did that take you to do the whole process? I can see you will need a custom knife case made for that.
--
From the desk of Don D. "Pegleg"
"Bob" <oso snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I have about 35 hour in it.
No knife case for this, it is for sale on my website.
What is cool about it is that as far as I know (and nobody in the knifemaking community has challenged the claim) it is the first and only one ever made completely out of damascus. Others have welded damascus blades onto spikes, but they do not make the spike themselves out of it.
Anyway, this is something that has attracted a LOT of attention. So, I thought I would find out what others have made that is "Cool."
Bob

It has to be the latest *big* pulsejet engine I built. It's so cool it even starts by itself without the need for forced air -- just turn on the fuel and the spark and away it goes!
More info and a short vid on my website at http:/aardvark.co.nz/pjet/
And yes, it also doubles as a BBQ for those long summer nights ;-)
-- you can contact me via http://aardvark.co.nz/contact /

Well the most famous thing I built was the dragon for the Seattle Opera's production of the Ring Cycle back in '96. It was the last straw for me, and I walked out after that, never to return. Still it was a damn impressive beast. It was based on the concept of a steam shovel.
5700 lbs of aluminum and steel that floated on air casters. It belched fire, drolled liquid nitrogen, coughed smoke and had spinning teeth.
I was told by a viewer of the show that when it belched fire over the audience his wife peed her pants.
I have built things that I am much prouder of, like the 30 foot bronze collumn inside a house, or the sweep stair rails, or chandeliers, and a realy cool 2 ton staircase I built 2 years ago, but the dragon was the most famous item.
That sounds like a great piece of work, on a LARGE scale.
Very nice metal - the pattern.
Hand pounding or machine - details ?
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
Hand forged. Propane forge and a lot of hammer work.

I do copper structures/sculptures. I made a pair of garden gates that the owners really love. http://www.copperaccents.com/Products/Product-Gates_Lundberg.html Lane
Nice gates. I like the Sunrise Sunset thing and how the gates reflect it.
Great job.

Thanks
http://www.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/app.pl/albums/large_image_view?id 9764&link_code=sa01_17
that's my coolest thing. no pics of the engine yet.
Peter

Absolutely killer gates. Great original design.
The absolutely coolest thing I've ever built is sitting in my studio right now and I don't have any pictures of it online yet, so my SECOND coolest thing is something I call "Aphrodite Rising from the Foam" It's the third thumbnail down at:
http://www.jameskelseystudios.com/portfolio.html
James Kelsey, Port Orchard, WA
I am not one for "Art" as in sculptors and such but you make some pretty cool stuff. I like the "Aphrodite Rising from the Foam" sculpture (and a few of the others). I don't know how people like you get your ideas cause that stuff does not come to me.
I am a little more functional with my knives and gates and you have a talent that is different than mine (if mine could be called a talent) but I appreciate your creativity.
Take a picture of the thing in your studio and post it for us.
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:53:18 -0800, RainLover

James It is amazing to me that there are people who can make a living making this abstract art. Hey, no harm indented, it just isn't my cup of tea. Good thing the world isn't full of people like me huh? Otherwise you wouldn't sell anything.
I'm not trying to put anybody down, but rather to start a conversation about it if anyone is interested. BTW, I have no idea how much you sell your stuff for, or if you sell enough to qualify for "making a living". For all I know you've got an inheritance you are living off of. Or, you could be a millionaire from selling it. I have no idea.
Since being laid off from Boeing in January, I've been trying to push my hobby/part time business into prime time without any luck what-so-ever. I would appreciate hearing about you and your art in this down Puget Sound economy.
Lane
Good detail - thanks for the feedback. Lots to try in life nowadays!
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

This would qualify as unusual: http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID 457228&photoID462143&security=pPLYRV
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID 457228&photoID462053&security=SctxFW
A young rancher came to me and asked if I would build him a Rodeo Clown Barrel for less than he could buy one in the US, and match the weight of the Aluminum ones with steel. I have been known to take a challenge now and then, when we were finished we had a barrel to his specs, only 12 lbs. heavier than the aluminum barrels and tough enough to take a tumble out of a 1/2 ton truck at 30-35 MPH with him in it.(He padded it first inside and out.).He told me that is about the same impact as a 1800-2500 lb. bull. I'll take his word for it!
Greg

Sorry guys try these links: http://community.webshots.com/photo/99457228/99462143pPLYRV
http://community.webshots.com/photo/99457228/99462053SctxFW