Lego train set 116 question..

I have recently acquired this set off ebay;
I have a question about the box... The inner tray is of expanded polystyrene and designed to hold the
train built rather than in parts. The set number is on a strip of card glued to the tray so it and all the train wagons would be visible if the box had no lid but a clear plastic cover instead. Is that how the set was as new ? I ask because I think I may be missing a box lid, then again I may not.
Lego-UK