PRO-E TRANSLATOR GONE?

was it just me, or did the Pro/E translator work in SW2004 SP1, and now not work again in SP3?

works for me on sp3. I just imported a file as a body. never have much ;uck asking for features.

Can anybody tell me what good it is to create a feature tree where more than half of the features have errors on them? That's why I only import the body.

jk

Reply to
jk

"jk" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Well, it's a start, if you need a model with features.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

JK,

I don't have a need to import Pro-E files very often, but occasionally I do. But, I have never seen anything in the File>Open>Options to ask for Pro-E features. I looked in the help file but couldn't find anything there either. Am I missing something here? Where is that option?

SW04, SP2.1

Reply to
Seth Renigar

ok, then answer this one for me. After fixing all of those errors, what are the chances of the end result matching the native model?

I suppose you could do a second import of the body only to verify, but that seems like a lot of work.

jk

Reply to
jk

Still, that's less work than starting over from scratch. If you get into lofts and sweeps, it will probably never match anyway. I think I'd give the part a rev, just for the translation.

Myself, I mostly use it on purchase items that are only available as Pro/E files. And not always, even then. Anything else, I import as just the body. I rarely need the features, so I actually sort of agree with you. I don't really need it.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Has anyone used eDrawings with the ProE extension? I believe it allows one to open ProE files, but not sure about saving SolidWorks/eDrawing to ProE.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Seth,

When importing a Pro-E part, you initially have 2 options ; import directly or analyze completely. If you choose import directly, you get a dumb imported body.

If you choose the other option, it looks for features. In the case of the one I just tried before posting, It tells me that it recognized 33 out of 37 features and that all surfaces were recognized. Then it asks me if I want to import the features or the body. There are also check boxes for

attempt to correct invalid features & generate translation report

In the case that I am trying now, I only got one feature with an error on it. It was a fillet, and I probably could have fixed it. The problem is one area of the part does not look at all like the part I imported as a body on Tuesday with no features. No errors on those features, but they don't look the same as the body. Since I also got a dxf file of the drawing, I can verify that the bodu import looks like the customer's part and the one with features does not.

I have seen this numerous times before and have even sent example in to SWX. This is why I only import bodies with the Pro-E translator.

jk

Reply to
jk

Thanks. I'll definitely pay attention to that next time...

Reply to
Seth Renigar

SW is making a publisher addin for pro e that creates edrw files from pro. It wont read pro/e files, it creates edrawing files from within pro...

Reply to
Johnathen Lieber

Reply to
Erico