Photoworks 2 trees?

I need to do a layout that has some trees in it. The photoworks library of materials has a selection of trees but I can not figure out how to use them correctly. Do I need to draw a flat solid in the shape of the tree I pick so I can apply the tree material to its flat surface? I was hoping it was something easy like the trees that you can render in AutoCAD, you can set them up to always be facing the screen no matter where the camera angle is from once they are placed in 3D space. Has anyone done any renderings using trees that has looked half way descent? Thanks

Reply to
Jerry

test

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

You, me and lots of other people have had this issue. This is one of my most requested enhancements for PW2. Maybe something will show in

2005? You can try the cookie cutter approach of modeling a flat tree and then using the SolidWorks tree material as a decal or material. I have not had very good luck with this. It just dosen't look very convincing. I have found the best way to add trees and plants to a rendering is a little post processing in a photo editing software (PhotoShop, Corel PhotoPaint, etc.). Let us know if you come up with a good solution.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

Well, I just used the RealView function in 2004 and put a tree on a flat surface. I zoomed it to the full width of my screen and did a printscreen. I brought it into Photoshop and took out the black background, pasted it into my rendering and added some shadows. It actually looks pretty good although it shouldn't have to take that many steps to do it. Thanks for the suggestion........

Reply to
Jerry

Paul Salvador posted somes Leafz a while back. I made a branch with them and made a few sub assemblies. I then copied them to make even larger brnches and so-on. It just needs a trunk now.

Not bad for a ten minute job, though if you really wanted to you can spend all day making a nice library...

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Ahhhhmmmm, this was the most requested feature for PW2!????

Oh joy... trees... now I know why I'll have too sit and wait...

Will the existing problems with PW2 or decals ever be fixed... no... we need trees!!

(I'm sure the prismatic block and hole designers are just as excited....Welcome to AutoWorks!... where everything will be implemented at a snails pace to insure job security...)

Sorry, Rob, pinch me...

..

Rob Rodriguez wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Alright, the request has been solved, we got free trees!!

(I'm sitting here LMAO because this all hits a funny bone... I've got too focus!)

.. ;^)

"Mike J. Wils>

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Just looked out the window - no leaves on my trees just yet - except my Tasmanian Eucalyptus. My Himalayan Bananna tree did not make it through the recent snow we had - I think it forgot its roots and got to accustomed to the mild Cornish weather. I'll have to buy banannas now !!

Can you set up a time dependant configuration to show a tree without leaves? ;-) I think it would make a great animation- when your bored Mike ;-) and have time on your hands !!

Regards

Jonathan Stedman

Reply to
jjs

here is a little something OT to remind you that people are doing good things developing free rendering

neil

...here is a bit of grass generated from a Blender script for your OT amusement and edification...there are trees too but ...I can't find them at the moment.

someone has started a CAD version of Blender ... will probably be finished before SW decals get fixed : )

Reply to
neil

Hey Paul,

I agree the tree thing is not as important as software that works correctly all the time the way it's suppose to!! I also agree PW2 has many issues in this area. When I have been asked what my top enhancements are, the ability to show plant life, trees, etc. inside of PW is always on the list. The instability problems, the decal mapping issues, definable cameras (getting inside an assembly), easier UI, more controls, better lighting, ability to read formats like 3DS,OBJ,LWO... All things that are on my wish list. Why are the trees and plants there?? Because the objective of my rendering is to show my product in as realistic a setting as possible. In order to do this I need the ability to show these things. The PhotoShop just adds time. There are other CAD specific rendering packages that do this (AutoCrap, Flamingo, Presenter 3D, Accurender) Unfortunately none of them interface with SolidWorks. Rather than dive into a lightwave or 3D Studio, I'd rather see PW become better. Better for all of us!!

Oh sorry PINCH!

Jerry

You could have gone into your solid works install folder and found the photoworks material files. In there are the tree images. You could have achieved the same result as you did using your method but it would have been faster and the image quality would have been better.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez