Photoworks 2 decal quality

Hi All,

I'm still not able to get decal resolution in photoworks 1 to be anything other than crap. No matter how high a resolution, or what format decal I use, the results are always incredibly pixelated, so it is impossible to do a zoom in on the product for close-up renderings.

Has this changed in Photoworks 2?

Does anyone else ever have to do close up renderings, and how do you handle it? Currently, the only way for me to get around it is to do all the artworks as sketches and cut or boss them a tiny distance, but this can be incredibly time consuming for complex artwork.

There must be a better way to do this, and I am hoping the Phoworks 2 may be it...

Thanks Olaf

Reply to
Olaf Diegel

Olaf, are you sure you don't have the anti-aliasing in the decal options turned down to soft. I know it defaults to soft and can make for a blurry image.

I can't picture your problem, but I have never had problems getting a nice crisp decal. Maybe if you post it somewhere.

Reply to
Devin Hughey

PW2 decal quality, masking and AA quality is better.

..but, unfortunately PW2 decal needs a overhaul, it's still not user friendly.

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Hi All, The problem I keep having is as follows: In your favorite drawing program, daw a 100mm x 100mm square and write something in the middle of it using a size 8 font. Preferrably letters with curves like lower-case 'a', for example.

Now save the file at a very high resolution, say 2000 x 2000 pixels at

300dpi. So you now have a picture (in jpg, TIF, BMP, etc. Format doesnt seem to make much of a difference for this example) format that you can zoom right in on the lower case 'a' and everything is perfect and smooth.

Next, in Solidworks draw a 100mm x 100mm szuare and boss it out to 10mm. On the front surface of the square stick you newly created picture as a decal.

Make the square fit on the screen and hit render: looks vaguely acceptable. Zoom right in on the lower-case 'a' and render: It looks like absolute crap, with the rounded curves of the 'a' now pixelated to hell. Render to image at a high resolution of say 3200 x 2400 at 600dpi, and the results are still the same.

All anti-aliasing does is soften the edges of the pixels, so is of pretty limited use in this...

As best as I can tell, this is what seems to be happening: PW takes your image and scales it to fit the model face. In doing so, as best as I can tell, it reduces it to somewhere around 72dpi. It then stays at that low

72dpi resolution forever more, causing any hi-res close-ups to become impossible.

A typical example would be if you are rendering for an A4 size product resolution. For a high quality brochure, you need ot be able to zoom right in on the small print of the product and still be able to clearly read it. I cannot figure out if this is actually possible in PW.

Apologies for the long post, but i'm hoping someone can help. Or maybe someone has some examples to show that it can be done?

Regards Olaf

Reply to
Olaf Diegel

If I recall correctly, in PW1, max (efficient) Decal size is 1024x768... It's been awhile when I last had to use decals, but I had same problems, and got the best out of it using 1024x768 (or within those x,y sizes) decal

I made a drawing as a base for our machines, so that you get the effect that our machines "comes out of the drawing"... Made several large renderings out of it, 6400x4800 beeing the max.. and it came out fine...

Reply to
Arto Kvick