Spaceball and Wildfire

Hi group.

We use 10 3d-connexion (Logitech) 3003 flx spaceballs in our company and since we use Wildfire there is a serious problem with spinning big assemblies (1.500 up). If I change the view of only one part of a big asm into wireframe, spinning with spaceball is extremely slow. Using middle mouse button is still fast.

I tried:

- newest driver

- spin_with_silhouettes = no

- silhouettes = no

with no result.

3d-connexion told me that PTC should fix the problem because they don´t allow 3d-c to build a plugin for Wildfire.The problem is the same with any other 3d-connexion/Logitech spaceball.

Do you have any ideas?

TIA, Rainer

Reply to
harter

Wow, thanks for posting. I've noticed the same thing and never thought to just use the mouse rotation (sharp slap to forehead), so obviously don't have anything to offer.

If I may expand on the subject a little:

A problem that bugs me appears to be associated with functions that are tied to the option spin_rate_zoom_sensitive, which I have set to "no" and it's not associated with the graphics regen / redraw rate. A simple test part; cube of several inches on a side with a small hole in it (tenth inch, or so), shows that if zoomed in close enough to fill the graphics screen with the hole edge the rotation rate slows to a crawl, requiring adjustment of the Spaceball's rotation sensitivity.

Do you see similar behavior? If not I'll definitely try a different driver, etc.

I've also gotten into "modes" where the rotation is extremely fast when it shouldn't be. Zoom all will fix this. Going into Sketcher mode usually requires resetting rotation sensitivity to keep it from spinning like a dervish.

Interesting, I guess, that it's all rotation related issues. Zoom and pan never require fiddling with.

It's interesting what they told you about the plug-in, though I think I'd hate to see that; good native support such as Rhino and Inventor have is by far preferable to the one plug-in I've used, Acad, but that may be Acad's bad 3D graphics. I asked PTC's tech support about the issues I'm having about a year ago when I first purchased Pro/E. They suggested I try new drivers. Maybe I'll continue to bug them about it, especially after your saying that it's not device model dependant (I have a 3003).

What version Pro/E are you using? Wonder if WF2..... It's an aspect of the interface that I'd like to see improved.

=============================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

That's a dumb question, huh? 8~)

=======================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

You might want to try turning off transparency by going into View | Model Display | Shade | Transparency

If this works then set the following config setting: transparency no

We use 10 3d-connexion (Logitech) 3003 flx spaceballs in our company and since we use Wildfire there is a serious problem with spinning big assemblies (1.500 up). If I change the view of only one part of a big asm into wireframe, spinning with spaceball is extremely slow. Using middle mouse button is still fast.

I tried:

- newest driver

- spin_with_silhouettes = no

- silhouettes = no

with no result.

3d-connexion told me that PTC should fix the problem because they don´t allow 3d-c to build a plugin for Wildfire.The problem is the same with any other 3d-connexion/Logitech spaceball.

Do you have any ideas?

TIA, Rainer

Reply to
GS

Jeff Howard schrieb:

Jeff, I tried this and I don´t see any changes if setting the option to "yes" or "no".

I tried two different drivers with no effect to spin behaviour.

Didn´t see that.

3d connexion said that it´s PTC´s turn to provide a better interface.

In conclusion: I only have problems with wireframe objects. Everything else is working well with the spaceball. Large assemblies aren´t a problem as long as you spin while they are in shaded mode.

Rainer

Reply to
harter

GS schrieb:

Tried this with no effect...

Reply to
harter

the behaviour of our Pro/E 2000i2 here spinning complex assemblies with mouse/spaceball is quite different, and also are shaded and wireframe resp. hlr modes.

On unix/sgi machines shaded mode is far the fastest, but a bit faster with mouse compared to the spaceball.

Wireframe or hlr may be quite creepy, dependant on model complexity. I found the same thing with 2001 under Win2k on fast intel machines.

Rotating the model in hlr mode using the 3003 spaceball leaves the view unrefreshed, i. e. no new hlr computation is triggered (works with mouse) - whatever that means.

Obviously this is no "driver" issue (effect on both windows and unix). Have you played around with the spaceball 3003 motion control center? Did you try what happens when using the screen menu for pan/zoom/spin?

Regards

Walther

Reply to
Walther