Wildfire is killing me

I don't understand why PTC changed so much, when they went to Wildfire. But it is killing me. Where do I find or how do change display view mode in a drawing?

Reply to
glen.whitcomb

Either click on a view, hold RMB and select properties or double click on the view. Then, the good old menu pops up with 'View Disp' near the bottom.

Reply to
Arlin

This link takes you to a web page devoted to helping users with the changes. It's actually a first that PTC is this helpful with a new rev. One of the things I've found very helpful is the Menu Mapper which lets you find something in a menu of i-squared or 2001 with which you are familiar and shows you what happened to it, where it went in Wildfire. You have to select on the left not only the rev you are translating from, but also the module (part, assembly, drawing, etc) to get the right menus to pick from. If you spend some time with this and go exploring, you should quickly get the shift that's taken place. But Arlin was correct in pointing you to the right mouse button and the contextual menus. A lot of stuff is now under properties.

As to why they are changing anything, (and so much) is competition. Think SolidWorks: they've even got a presentation on their website called "10 reasons why Wildfire is better than SolidWorks" which amounts to a long series of unproven assertions, but, still, the first time I've heard a rival mentioned by name by PTC. Also, check out comp.cad.solidworks news group, it's a pretty lively place with about 7 times as much correspondence as this NG. And, the Pro/e interface (or at least those fuzzy red lines that obscure everything) is starting to more and more resemble the SW one. Certainly the object/action, noun/verb style was much earlier done in SW and is thorougly embedded in Windows itself which is where SW started and who it was written for, at a time when PTC said Windows and held its nose.

My problem is how they are dragging it out. We could have taken the plunge, the cold bath at a dive, with 20 or 2000i. Now they are trying to make big changes when the economy stinks and users have one more reason not to take the plunge. If they'd made all the changes they were going to make back then, the dust would have settled, all the grousing would have been over long ago (along with Millenium fever) and we'd now be using much different software that we'd be quite comfortable with. Instead, it seems like they are immitating the abyssmal experience of the U.S. 'transition' to metric which has been so partial and indecisive, so lame and halting, so dominated by regret, nostalgia and excuse-making that it's begun to reverse itself. Plus, the way they've dragged it out hasn't made anyone any happier. If anything, people are just tired of it and just want to be done with it because it simply adds another element of uncertainty to already uncertain times. We've heard that Wildfire II should finish it, but, you know, I'm betting they drag it out for another 2 or 3 revs. They haven't even made a start on sheetmetal except for adding a pile of nearly incomprehensible icons.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

'Alas, poor Yorick!'

Seleckt any view and right click it > Properties From 'Menu Manager': VIEW MODIFI > View Disp

all is not so bad

"Glen@JMMS" ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ: news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
A. Surkov