Wildfire Crashes

I recently attended the Wildifre update training. The build code we were using was 2003 3170. It was crashing quite often especially with mouse movements--double clicking objects to open or drag. This was quite annoying to the point of making the program unusable.

This was at a PTC approved training facility so I would think that the hardware and software patches were current. Is anyone using later versions of wildfire that are more stable. My company is thinking of migrating to wildfire, but not if it crashes so often.

Your experiences would be appreciated.

Reply to
Vijay Kumar
2003170 is a very early build. We are running 2003410 with patches for the timeout bug. I have 2003451 on my workstation. I have heard that 2003490 is available, but I am in no hurry to upgrade 70+ computers when the build 2003451 and higher require a complete uninstall of an older than 2003451 build before installing.
Reply to
Ben Loosli

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Yeaaa... Another Wildfire fan! I've got myself at a state where I've got to re-install. I used Program Files as a directory and my Mechanica doesn't really work. I've got 2003451 CD's in my office ready to go, should I do that or go get the Wildfire II Beta? Not wild about Beta stuff, would be cool to look at ... you're gonna say do both right?

Has anyone ever created a quality metric for releases... so 19 wasn't as good as 18 huh? 2000i^2 was really bad right? That's where PTC sent the apology letter?

-D

David Janes wrote: snip

Reply to
meld_b

Add to this another dimension: suppose that they had a pretty decent Beta testing program and automatic testing and quality control in place so that they released versions with minimal serious flaws. Yet, since I've known them, they release a new build about every week and THERE IS NO QUALITY CONTROL ON THESE, NO BETA TESTING! I'm sure I've run into or heard of builds which screwed up 6 things for every one they fixed. Yet, the theory persists that the software is released with a lot of bugs and gets fixed as new builds keep coming out. So they wait until WF

2 is out before updating to WF. And yet there's meld_b with a fairly late build (five or six months after intial release?) of WF complaining about crashes. So, do they get better or worse as more builds are released?

: Has anyone ever created a quality metric for releases... so 19 wasn't as : good as 18 huh? 2000i^2 was really bad right? That's where PTC sent the : apology letter? : I'm sure PTC has it, just try getting it out of them. Maybe that kind of stuff comes out in lawsuits, like the Rand v. PTC one.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

David - You misunderstood me... I'm NOT crashing Wildfire 2003100... I just need to reload because the Mechanica translators don't work if you install under "Program Files" and I'm not sure where my 2003100 CD's went. With 2003451 staring at me I might as well go for it. I'll work on my self control and wait until March for Wildfire2. Maybe I could spend that time and get BMX or MDO working :-) -D

Reply to
meld_b

I take it back... I did just crash today. And while running Independent Mechanica and Pro/E this Machine a Dell Optiplex pretty much did a face plant and I had to shut everything down but Pro/E and then it came back to life.

-D

meld_b wrote:

Reply to
meld_b

They should give an apology letter for Wildfire, it's the worst software revision I've ever seen or used. We upgraded many months back but we still skip backwards to Rev2001 at every opportunity. Wildfire is illogical, often unstable, poorly implemented and unfinished, in fact whoever ordered it's release in that state should be ashamed.

Worst gripes are:

1) Nothing makes sense - I'm forever searching for tools. 2) New color scheme is awful - I set it back to 2001 all the time. When I've got time I'll list more!

It's also harder to select things. There may be some illogical way to select things that are hidden in layers but we haven't found it. I have to resort to making the layer visible so I can select things.

Reply to
Rich Lewis

We have Pro/E Wildfire 2003490 installed in our server and I'm having a problem saving an assembly file. Pro/E keeps crashing. My workstation is dual Xeon 3.06MHz and 2.0G of RAM.

Reply to
Ansel Valdez
64 bit.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Yes, 32-bit operating systems are limited to a maximum of 4 gigabyte (GB) of memory addressing. This is what I did to resolve the problem of saving big assembly file. I modified my boot.ini to include the 3GB switch and increase my virtual memory to 3GB, install Pro/E locally and patch xtop.exe to access more than 2GB of memory.

Reply to
Ansel Valdez

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Yes there are. You throw that Microsoft garbage as far as the eye can see and buy a real computer. An SGI, for instance. A *real* operating system that's been 64-bit for almost a *decade* and has a *real* file system and has a *real* multi-user environment and does *real* multi-tasking.

If you want to be a professional, you need professional- level tools. Windows does not qualify.

Reply to
hamei