buy AR15

I'm shopping for my Xmass present. (Get yer own present - always git what u wunt)

I'm looking for a hunting quality AR15. Not a match grade rifle, not a POS. Is this a great deal? other suggestions?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl, that is basically retail price for that rifle. You could probably beat it by shopping around, but not by enough to matter. I would have a hard time matching that price by assembling the parts.

Oly used to have a so-so reputation, but that was mostly the snobs talking. Nothing wrong with them, and they are reportedly accurate.

Personally, I would prefer a longer SS barrel - 20" or 24" It might depend on what you are hunting - varmints from a rest, or game in thick brush.

If that configuration fits your needs, buy it. If you decide you need something different, they are very easy to re-configure to suit. or buy another one, they do tend to multiply.

Reply to
RBnDFW

I've got a Mini-14 stainless I'l part with for less.

Reply to
Buerste

I have a mini-14 stainless also. Set it up with a folding stock, flash suppressor, and scope. Got a whole bunch of 30 round clips. I understand the clips will interchange with the AR-15

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I don't think the mags are interchangeable. Larry or Gunner would know for sure. Do you want to sell any mags?

Reply to
Buerste

Lets see. Rifle which fires a varmint cartridge, and "black rifle" look which freaks sheeple / people out? Likely to be banned by this or that ordinance. Very low on my list for those reasons.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually, the AR style rifles are getting more popular with hunters... especially in larger calibers like the .243 & .308; there's an article in the latest American Rifleman about hunting with these "modern" semi-automatic rifles. Even Remington is offering an AR style rifle and using the tag line "Built to Hunt" in their ads:

David Courtney

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 05:38:26 -0500, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

Not I. It was Gunner who opened my eyes to the real numbers behind handguns 5ish years ago and brought me over from the anti- group. But I haven't truly immersed myself in the gun culture as yet. Maybe after The American Revolution 2.0, or during it, huh?

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Then it's time to buy a real semi auto. Get yourself an M1A and don't look back.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Sounds like a reason to buy.

Reply to
Bill McKee

Nope, no interchanging Ar and mini mags. They look similar, but that's it.

Reply to
RBnDFW

There were some mags that were made in the distant past, pre-'94, that would fit both rifles, badly. Regular factory-style mini-14 mags won't fit an AR. Depends on what you have.

My experience with mini-14s is that they're minute-of-washtub, slightly worse than my SKS. The bull barrel on the AR shoots one hole groups with the right ammo at 100 yards, definitely varmint-quality. Used to be mini-14 prices were about half what they wanted for an AR, they're right up there now.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Supposedly ruger got tired of complaints and retooled the Mini14 for accuracy a few years ago. Still not as good as an AR, but probably

1.5 MOA with the right ammo. And it's arguably more rugged.

I have 2 or 3 ARs, but I'll also be buying a mini14 when I find the right deal.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Real semi auto? Forget the A and go straight to the Garand ;)

Wes

Wes

There were some mags that were made in the distant past, pre-'94, that would fit both rifles, badly. Regular factory-style mini-14 mags won't fit an AR. Depends on what you have.

My experience with mini-14s is that they're minute-of-washtub, slightly worse than my SKS. The bull barrel on the AR shoots one hole groups with the right ammo at 100 yards, definitely varmint-quality. Used to be mini-14 prices were about half what they wanted for an AR, they're right up there now.

Stan

That's why I want to sell my two Minis and build an AR-10 or go bolt action, or just get some more pistols.

Reply to
Buerste

What's the right deal?

Reply to
Buerste

Its about average retail pricing now that the load has fallen off a bit.

Its not a fancy arm..but its a decent reliable one. A good un.

What sort of optics are you planning on putting on it?

Scope or combat optics?

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves, but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post, listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02 worth."

Reply to
Gunner Asch

No..they wont.

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves, but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post, listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02 worth."

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Late-model stainless LNIB at $600 or less.

They sell new for $669 at the last few gunshows here in ft Worth.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Actually, my stainless is early but hasn't had 100 rds through it. What's the dif?

Reply to
Buerste