CAD programs

I've been looking for a CAD program for creating model plans. I downloaded a few free ones to see which features I like and which ones I don't like. I've noticed that circle, arc and ellipse are very common features, but I haven't seen a program yet that will do the complex curves required for drawing airfoils.

I downloaded the free version of RC CAD, but it looks more like a toy than a drafting program. The help file says I can select different airfoils with the full ($49.95) version, but you still can't make real plans with it.

The reason I'm looking is so I can draw plans for some of my designs and offer them to the public on my website. I want to make the drawings detailed enough for a relative beginner to be able to build a decent airplane from them. The first plane I'm trying to do is a 6 foot wingspan bomber that is capable of carrying 7 aluminum cans or a couple of rolls of toilet paper. So far I've drawn most of the structure in the fuselage, but I just don't know how to draw the airfoil. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Look for "spline" or "Bezier" in the help screens. That's the names for the technique of drawing complex curves, and every drafting package that I've played with has that feature, one way or another.

With the right package there should be some way enter the coordinates of your airfoil of choice, and have the drawing package complete the curve nicely.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:11:04 -0600, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Robert Reynolds instead replied:

Winfoil. The newest release is out and it's fabulous.

There are 229 airfoil coordinates built in. You can save as DXF. Has an aircraft performance calculator built-in and full NACA 4,5 and 6 point calculator. Read the features and you'll be drooling. $50.00(AUD) around $47.00(USD) for the packaged, downloaded.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sat, 31 May 2008 22:43:01 -0600, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Robert Reynolds instead replied:

Glad to help. Tell the Google story to Malcolm when you order yours. And tell him I sent you. He likes it when I do that.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Thanks Tim. I'll look for those.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Wow! That's exactly what I've been looking for. I wonder why it didn't show up in the Google searches I did.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

For 2D work consider Corel Draw, surprisningly, and Autotcad or TurboCad.

For 3D work Rhino cad or Solidworks.

Most of the people on RCgroups are using one of these four.

None are easy and intuitive to drive!

If you are a skilled hand drauhgtsperson, Corel will come fairly naturally: If not the CAD programs take a slightly different approach,which others find easier.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use devcad LE (devcad.com) and I'm going to up it to the pro version. Easy, intuitive and can import a jpg/gif/tif/bmp as a 'background layer'. You can then tell the program the real dimensions by referencing any 2 points and giving it a dimension.Then you can draw over the top of it to produce DXFs.( via export.) Natively it produces DCIs. Only missing thing on the LE version is 'draw // line' but is in the pro version. Very similar in look and feel to AutoCAD . For wing profiles, try profili. That will build complete wing rib sets and has lots of rib profiles.

Reply to
TT_Man

Hi Robert,

I recently drew up the plans to a stick flyer that I will build this year. I used a free copy of Intellicad that I have had for many years.

I got the coordinates for the airfoil from the web, then set up a spreadsheet that added the horizontal and vertical position offsets to the airfoil coordinates.

I just plotted the final numbers directly into the drawing, starting at the leading edge (could have used the trailing edge just as easily) drawing a line from point to point. The precision was good enough and when I form the ribs by hand I will end up smoothing the minor variations as I sand.

For real accuracy (such as you might want for selling plans), break up the airfoil into smaller sections, then select that section and convert it to a spline, then reconnect it to the larger sections and you are done. Well, maybe a bit more complicated than that.

Most all medium to high end drafting programs will do this easily, even many low end programs will too.

Draw in full scale and plot in full scale.

Best of luck to you.

George

Reply to
George

Wait a minute.... Now that I've installed it, I see that it's not a drafting program at all. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how I can compose a printable set of plans using this program.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Winfoil is not a drafting program, but it does generate plot points and a plot curve from known airfoil data (included in the program) or from data you import or enter. It will then print out a copy of the airfoil to scale. Were you expecting more ?

Reply to
rszanti

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 07:52:21 -0600, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Robert Reynolds instead replied:

It's an integrated design environment. You design all the pieces and put them together. It automatically generates a full set of plans based on that.

I downloaded my version 3 upgrade and had a few Windows registration problems so I can't help you at the moment until I get that sorted out. Curses to Windows anyway! I had just uninstalled my version 2!

Arrggggh!!!

I'm off to the FAQ or Forums pages now to see what's wrong. Sigh. I assume you didn't have any problems installing? I'm not surprised I did. Might be my virus fighter. Happens now and again.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

All I'm looking for is a drafting program that will draw non circular curves and generate DXF files.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Have you tried Alibre ? It is a solid modeller which will allow you to make drawings from your 3-d model. There is a free version which might suffice and can be downloaded form

Hth,

Reply to
Boo

Gee I haven't been on RMRCA in a long time. Most of you that know m

know that I love Drawing Board for quick easy CAD work. I also hav AutoCad and a few other assorted CAD systems.

I was surfing about a month ago and found one I hadn't tried in about years. DeltaCad. When I first tried it I found it lacking in what require of a system that would draw model airplanes, print them an lastly save them in DXF format, very important.

Anyway I thought what the hey and downloaded the trial copy. Surprise Surprise, surprise. It now has all those features and best of all i the price for a full bang up copy ( just wish I could get resell right I'd be rich ). If you haven't tried it in a while have a look. I thin you may find what everyone is looking for.

StarCad starcadplans.ne

-- starca

----------------------------------------------------------------------- starcad's Profile:

this thread:

starcad

Are you aware of any place where there might be some practical help, o

how to make use of this program. I mean of real examples of one using this program, not a load of lon theories but examples. Such as you used to get on programs of years gone by, unfortunle lately manual are written with the assumption that people have far more understanding then what is actualy there. What I mean is telling you as example to draw up a wing Step one is this, now step two due this and so on and on ,once you learn to get down the basics and you can make out the ide the programer had in mind it because easier. Wher have all the real good writer gone. If you have taken up th manual for Autocad where in the old days the gave you some practica examples it gave one a chance,but now that just does not to be arroun any more. Look at some manuals the tell you what all wonderfull things th program can due, but the do not seem to be able to tell you or teach yo how.

Hans Bruhn

TT_Man Wrote:

-- Hans Bruh

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Hans Bruhn's Profile:

this thread:

Hans Bruhn

Are you aware of any place where there might be some practical help, o

how to make use of this program. I mean of real examples of one using this program, not a load of lon theories but examples. Such as you used to get on programs of years gone by, unfortunle lately manual are written with the assumption that people have far more understanding then what is actualy there. What I mean is telling you as example to draw up a wing Step one is this, now step two due this and so on and on ,once you learn to get down the basics and you can make out the ide the programer had in mind it becoms easier. Where have all the real good writer gone. If you have taken up th manual for Autocad where in the old days the gave you some practica examples it gave one a chance,but now that just does not to be arroun any more. Look at some manuals the tell you what all wonderfull things th program can due, but the do not seem to be able to tell you or teach yo how.

Hans Bruhn

TT_Man Wrote:

-- Hans Bruh

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Hans Bruhn's Profile:

this thread:

Hans Bruhn

Are you aware of any place where there might be some practical help, o

how to make use of this program. I mean of real examples of one using this program, not a load of lon theories but examples. Such as you used to get on programs of years gone by, unfortunle lately manual are written with the assumption that people have far more understanding then what is actualy there. What I mean is telling you as example to draw up a wing Step one is this, now step two due this and so on and on ,once you learn to get down the basics and you can make out the ide the programer had in mind it becomes easier. Where have all the real good writer gone. If you have taken up th manual for Autocad where in the old days the gave you some practica examples it gave one a chance,but now that just does not to be arroun any more. Look at some manuals the tell you what all wonderfull things th program can due, but the do not seem to be able to tell you or teach yo how.

Hans Bruhn

TT_Man Wrote:

-- Hans Bruh

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Hans Bruhn's Profile:

this thread:

Hans Bruhn

Wow Hans big question there. Most of us learned CAD back in th

beginning with the old DOS systems and math co-processors. There are few good books that explain a lot about how to use a CAD system. Th problem is finding the right book. Unless you can sit down and browse few then your not going to know if that book will be right for you. Th best way to learn to use CAD is with formal training at a school o trade program. It does cost but if you really want to learn how to us CAD start at the beginning on a regular drafting board and then lear CAD

-- starca

Fly'em Boy

this thread:

starcad

Couple of good CAD threads on rcgroups in the builders workshop forum. You will need to search,

If the one you want doesn't exist, sign up and start one. :-)

Personally if you are building a one off, a drawing board pencil and rubber is probably faster..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher