Which is easier, Compufoil or Winfoil?

Being a bit stupid when it comes to computer programs - and a few other ways too, for that matter- I need to know which of the two above programs is easier for an idiot to use. I'm getting tired of drawing out tapered wing ribs on graph paper!

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

I don't know about Winfoil I have an older edition of Compufoil and, as far as I am concerned, it is so damned complicated that I have never been able to use it. They are, however, very supportive and will help you....still I think you have to be a CAD programmer to be able to use it....just my opinion. On the other hand, maybe I just don't have the time sto spend a couple of hours trying to get a rib section in it....I erased it from my computer. Frank Schwartz

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

-------------

I had Compufoil back in the late Eighties/Early Nineties. Obviously, it was a DOS version and it wasn't too difficult to use. Wish I still had a copy of it. Later versions with more and more features became overly complicated. I stuck with the DOS version for quite a while. I lost it in the move from NJ to GA over eight years ago.

These days I just buy an ARF. I've breathed my share of balsa dust.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

I don't know about Winfoil I have an older edition of Compufoil and, as far as I am concerned, it is so damned complicated that I have never been able to use it. They are, however, very supportive and will help you....still I think you have to be a CAD programmer to be able to use it....just my opinion. On the other hand, maybe I just don't have the time sto spend a couple of hours trying to get a rib section in it....I erased it from my computer. Frank Schwartz

Reply to
Larry Smith

I have Compufoil 2000, and don't have Winfoil to comment upon in comparison. I do not find CF difficult at all. It has many features, but like a lot of software, learn the ones you need and typically use and ignore the rest. Like MS Excel, you can do wondrous engineering calculations with it, or simple tasks, it's up to you. And it has a decent help package.

The stuff you are talking about would not take long to learn. And customer support has been excellent for me as well. The job you are suggesting could likely be accomplished almost entirely by messing with it and learning intuitively, with the occasional peek at the help files.

I enjoy puttering with it actually.

MJD

Reply to
mjd

What you are looking for is no longer available. From 1984 until 2002

I developed and sold an airfoil plotting program until sales droppe below expenses. I didn't make much money but it was a hobby that pai for it's self. To plot airfoils, all you had to do was select a airfoil from a catalog of airfoils, enter the root chord length, selec number of ribs, enter tip chord, skin thickness and washout, and clic the print button. The first version was for Commodore 64 and DO computers while the final version was for Windows and was developed i

2000. Too many people wanted either the free programs or the much mor sophisticated Compufoil. The program was called Airfoil Plot while th more complete program (Model Design) could plot complete wing plans a well as calculate some other parameters. If you run across one o these programs, Airfoil Plot 7 was the best DOS version while th Windows version was Airfoil Plot 8. I know there are many stole copies out there since I never bothered with copy protection. Afte all, it was just a hobby that paid expenses since I don't work tha cheap

-- Chuck

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ChuckA's Profile:

this thread:

ChuckA

Chuck, could you e-mail me and let me know if you're still willing to sell the program to me, and at what cost? I don't want a pirated copy of anything!

Geoff snipped-for-privacy@hevanet.com

ChuckA wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

In message , Geoff Sanders writes Sorry forgot the link!!

Max George

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:25:19 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Geoff Sanders instead replied:

Geoff,

I've used Winfoil for years and found it remarkably easy to select the airfoil type, the wing paramaters and simply let the software do the work. The price? A mere $40.00 is all. No need to take my word for it. You can try it free.

Malcolm Hardy, the developer, has also asked for Beta testers to give his latest release a workout.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Thanks, Max and Ray, I'll look into both of them - and hope I can figure out how to use at least one of 'em!

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Sanders