Which is easier, Compufoil or Winfoil?

Being a bit stupid when it comes to computer programs - and a few other ways too, for that matter- I need to know which of the two above
programs is easier for an idiot to use. I'm getting tired of drawing out tapered wing ribs on graph paper!
Geoff
I don't know about Winfoil I have an older edition of Compufoil and, as far as I am concerned, it is so damned complicated that I have never been able to use it. They are, however, very supportive and will help you....still I think you have to be a CAD programmer to be able to use it....just my opinion. On the other hand, maybe I just don't have the time sto spend a couple of hours trying to get a rib section in it....I erased it from my computer. Frank Schwartz

-------------
I had Compufoil back in the late Eighties/Early Nineties. Obviously, it was a DOS version and it wasn't too difficult to use. Wish I still had a copy of it. Later versions with more and more features became overly complicated. I stuck with the DOS version for quite a while. I lost it in the move from NJ to GA over eight years ago.
These days I just buy an ARF. I've breathed my share of balsa dust.
Ed Cregger
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040800090300010902010301 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Oooooh, boy, you guys aren't making me feel any better! All I really want to accomplish is to design wing ribs with taper and built-in washout, and it's tedious by hand. Are there any really simple programs out there that will do this that even a dummy like me can understand? I've never been ny good with complex programs. Helllllllp!
Ed Cregger wrote:

-------------
I had Compufoil back in the late Eighties/Early Nineties. Obviously, it was a DOS version and it wasn't too difficult to use. Wish I still had a copy of it. Later versions with more and more features became overly complicated. I stuck with the DOS version for quite a while. I lost it in the move from NJ to GA over eight years ago.
These days I just buy an ARF. I've breathed my share of balsa dust.
Ed Cregger
--------------040800090300010902010301--
I have Compufoil 3D and I'm no expert but what you want to do would be easy enough to do and you should have no problems. Just follow the instructions.
Larry Smith
</PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">I don't know about Winfoil I have an older edition of Compufoil and, as far as I am concerned, it is so damned complicated that I have never been able to use it. They are, however, very supportive and will help you....still I think you have to be a CAD programmer to be able to use it....just my opinion. On the other hand, maybe I just don't have the time sto spend a couple of hours trying to get a rib section in it....I erased it from my computer. Frank Schwartz </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=""><!---->
-------------
I had Compufoil back in the late Eighties/Early Nineties. Obviously, it was a DOS version and it wasn't too difficult to use. Wish I still had a copy of it. Later versions with more and more features became overly complicated. I stuck with the DOS version for quite a while. I lost it in the move from NJ to GA over eight years ago.
These days I just buy an ARF. I've breathed my share of balsa dust.
Ed Cregger
</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
I have Compufoil 2000, and don't have Winfoil to comment upon in comparison. I do not find CF difficult at all. It has many features, but like a lot of software, learn the ones you need and typically use and ignore the rest. Like MS Excel, you can do wondrous engineering calculations with it, or simple tasks, it's up to you. And it has a decent help package.
The stuff you are talking about would not take long to learn. And customer support has been excellent for me as well. The job you are suggesting could likely be accomplished almost entirely by messing with it and learning intuitively, with the occasional peek at the help files.
I enjoy puttering with it actually.
MJD

What you are looking for is no longer available. From 1984 until 2002
I developed and sold an airfoil plotting program until sales droppe below expenses. I didn't make much money but it was a hobby that pai for it's self. To plot airfoils, all you had to do was select a airfoil from a catalog of airfoils, enter the root chord length, selec number of ribs, enter tip chord, skin thickness and washout, and clic the print button. The first version was for Commodore 64 and DO computers while the final version was for Windows and was developed i 2000. Too many people wanted either the free programs or the much mor sophisticated Compufoil. The program was called Airfoil Plot while th more complete program (Model Design) could plot complete wing plans a well as calculate some other parameters. If you run across one o these programs, Airfoil Plot 7 was the best DOS version while th Windows version was Airfoil Plot 8. I know there are many stole copies out there since I never bothered with copy protection. Afte all, it was just a hobby that paid expenses since I don't work tha cheap
-- Chuck ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ChuckA's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u !41 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?td638
Chuck, could you e-mail me and let me know if you're still willing to sell the program to me, and at what cost? I don't want a pirated copy of anything!
Geoff snipped-for-privacy@hevanet.com
ChuckA wrote:

Sorry forgot the link!!
http://www.yoredale.uklinux.net/modelfly/foils.htm
--
Max George

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:25:19 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Geoff,
I've used Winfoil for years and found it remarkably easy to select the airfoil type, the wing paramaters and simply let the software do the work. The price? A mere $40.00 is all. No need to take my word for it. You can try it free.
http://www.winfoil.com /
Malcolm Hardy, the developer, has also asked for Beta testers to give his latest release a workout. -- Ray
Thanks, Max and Ray, I'll look into both of them - and hope I can figure out how to use at least one of 'em!
Geoff