Free CAD Software?

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has used any of the free CAD programs that are available? If so looking for advice as to which is suitable for a novice CADer?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Reply to
paul.morrey

On or around Sat, 04 Nov 2006 17:02:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com enlightened us thusly:

2D or 3D?

I got a very nice one for ordinary 2D drawings, available as a free one with the more advanced stuff disabled, or shareware for not-too-many bucks for a fully working one.

now, if I could remember what it's called... aha:

Austin Shackles

Paul, Depends on what you want to do. There is 2D, 3D and modeling programs.

2d is just the ordinary CAD drawing packages that took over from the drawing board. 3D is the same but with the addition of the 3rd axis which gives a wire framed model

Modeling programs work a lot like making parts where you start off with a solid block and extract holes and add protrusions, a bit like computer welding.

All this is very general and open.

Now for free programs and I'll try to stick to ones that are free and not time limited demo's

Straight 2D covers an early version of Turbocad from the Turbocad web site. Dolphin do a 2D CAD program for free from their web site,

There is an AutoCAD clone called A9CAD, again from their web site.
Intellicad do some versions of an advanced AutoCAD clone, the best one being ProgeCAD LT
is the closest you can get to the full version of AutoCAD with a few bits disabled but you are getting a $3,000 program for free.

Modeling programs are usually very expensive and freebies are not usually available but Alibre do a light version called Express which has some bits missing.

Solid edge are also doing an offer to get more users on their side of a free 2D package that's based on their modeling program.
This needs XP to run though.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Thanks John

I have been using IMSI TotalCAD for some time now, which is fine until you want something laser cutting. You then find that AutoCADis allergic to TotalCAD DXF files. I have been wrestling with the complexities of AutoCAD for some time because of this fact.

Thanks to your links, I have just visited A9Tech and downloaded the A9converter sofware. This has beaten some of my existing TotalCAD .dxf s into AutoCAD drawings with no problem at all.

I'm so pleased I think I will email a mate who uses the same software.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I found IMSI Turbocad allergic to laser cutting, but also discovered that opening and saving them via Coreldraw (old version free with a pack of CDR's) closed all the open curves and allowed the laser to do it's thing. Could this be your problem.

Joules

Reply to
Joules Beech

Any of this stuff Mac-friendly

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

Why is it raining ?

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John Stevenson asked ...........

We don't know John.

What is the answer?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

Hi Folks

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to download a couple of the progs and see which seem easier to work with.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
paul.morrey

Not free, but Cadintosh is pretty nice for 2D

I've been trying it out but not really spent enough time to review it. I like it better than Qcad, but Qcad is good in so far as you get it for Mac, Linux and PC formats.

Joules

Reply to
Joules Beech