Has anybody done a chain in Solidworks?

For example: make one drive sprocket and idler sprocket and the driven sprocket. make the chain and create the mates between the links (yes it took a long time).

I can create the sprockets from Toolbox , create the path of the chain , then create a surface that the chain will be tangent to , then start creating tangent mates I can get only 4 mates done when the assembly becomes over defined. (I mate a tangent mate between the link roller and the surface path)

Can anybody shed some light on this .... please

Reply to
JF

The tangent mate is sometimes a bit quirky, tough to solve. Why don't you just use a sketch for the path of the centerlines of the rollers and mate the center points to the sketch. Much simpler for SW to solve.

Reply to
matt

Hi JF

I model chains as a part. Sketch the centre line, model a link then use a curve pattern to attach to centre line, you have to make the length of the centre line divisable by the pitch obviously. I have examples if you like.

steve

JF wrote:

Reply to
solid steve

Keep in mind that a lot of the time a full complete chain is not necessary and unnecessarily taxes the system. If you can accept it, put a sketch around the sprockets and then sweep the chain profile. That way it looks like it's going real fast!! Seriously, though, it shows a representation of the envelope that the chain occupies in its travels around the sprockets.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I would like to have one... once had some time to play with chains, but tried the assembly approach...

arto (dot) kvick (at) gmail (dot) com works OK...

Reply to
Kvick

Great idea Wayne!

I made each chain part, then a sub-assembly, then I made it flexible, then a main assembly. It took forever to re-build, and when I moved it, the parts flew all over the place!, lol

Your idea seems a lot easier. :-)

Reply to
pete