Roller chain

Anyone know the difference between roller chain to DIN standard and that to British standard?

Also which of the various DIN standard sprockets profiles.... DIN 8197 ... should be used with British chain?

And last but not least what is the DIN standard 8196 sprocket used for ... can BSI chain fit that too?

Found data on the web for tooth forms for the DIN stuff but nothing for the British Standard.

Why do I need it? ....... 'cause I have got to cut a pair of sprockets and I do not know what tooth form to chose! and when I go to buy the chain in the UK it will be BS chain no doubt.

I think I should stick to gears ..... it's easier!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

Have you looked at:

A quote hurriedly drawn from their site (may be out of context):-

EUROPEAN STANDARD - ISO/DIN/BS

The Bush/Roller Chain was invented by Renold and is still the worlds No1 choice for transmission drive systems. Chain manufactured to the above standard is covered by ISO 606 type B, BS 228 and DIN 8187

I think you can probably find enough info on their site to answer your question

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Thanks for the pointer .... had a good look but found nothing on the sprocket tooth form. .... but the chain standards seem interchangeable between ISO, DIN and BS so that's a start. Just need to fathom out why there are four different tooth profiles now .... and which one to use.

Reply to
Alan Marshall

Alan, For sprocket tooth form have a look at a small program called machinist mate from

can draw one tooth of any sprocket and save it as a dxf file Use the CAD program of your choice to array this around a circle to form your sprocket. I have used this and found it to be very good.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson