Lapping compound

I've been lapping the faces between the column and cylinder of my oscillating steam engine. I rigged up a sort of crank drive in the lathe to
make the lapping machine driven. So far, I've used fine grade automotive valve grinding paste, and this got the faces matched, but the surface was rough. I then left it running for a while with the faces wetted with Brasso, and the surface is smoother, but still rather rough.
What can I use as an in-between lapping compound to get smoother faces? A mate suggested Solvol Autosol metal polish - would that be suitable?
-- Wally www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.
Diamond lapping paste is used by toolmakers. Not cheap. Tried toothpaste? - seriously!
Lionel

Brasso,

I have been playing at carving a rocking horse and honing the gouges as advised by the maker with a buffing wheel and white compound (no idea what it is, came as a big block with the buffing wheel) It sharpens the tool and gives it a mirror finish. Might be suitable for finishing your cylinder faces.

Henry Springer wrote:

Aye, but what is it? (Or is it one of those standard compounds that has a colour related to its application?)
-- Wally www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Well I don't know - I tried to find out in an earlier post, I assume the colours are relevant and my local toolshop sells it as buffing compound bar by the kilo. I bought mine at the Harrogate show and it was sold as the one for ferrous metals, another (brown I think) was for brass etc, I realise this isn't a great help but if you have a decent local toolshop ask them. If you are stuck e-mail me and I'll send you a chunk, at my present rate of consumptionI I have several years supply.

Posted earlier this week....
Red Rouge is recommended for producing the highest polish and the best color on gold, silver, brass, and copper Green Rouge is recommended for final polish on hard metals such as platinum, white gold, chrome, nickel, and stainless steel Zam is a compound for high polish on silver gold and chrome. Also polishes stones, epoxies and other soft metal materials. Fabulustre is a special formula that removes light scratches and produces a fast bright mirror finish White Rouge produces a chrome finish Black Rouge produces a rich dark luster
http://www.ccsilver.com/supplies/polishing/polishing1.html
Lionel

Hyfin is good, I use this mainly on stainless steel, It's white to help with identification. Think its from Canning. Cuts well and gives a good finish. I use felt wheels they cut better. They can also be bought in different hardnesses.
Lionel
Lionel wrote:

I tried toothpaste before I set up the lathe to do the lapping, but it seemed to become sticky or dry, as if things were getting gummed up. I guess I could give it another go...
-- Wally www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

guess
Have to keep wetting occasionally. It's been said that toothpaste and cotton will cut through prison bars, given time on your side.
Lionel

Hi,
Just found this.
Quote... I lapped the valves using my favourite lapping compound - toothpaste! Works really well and gives your engine fresh minty breath.
http://www.steamengine.com.au/ic/engines/ottawa/ottawa-disaster.html
Lionel
Lionel wrote:

Personal experience Lionel??<grin>
Bob

Alcatraz 1989
Lionel

:-))
--
Frank Erskine

Toolmakers do also use Autosol as well for polishing, although I've never seen a toolmaker with a tube of toothpaste in his toolbox -but that isn't to say it won't work, and it will smell better than most substances in the workshop!
Regards
Kevin

was

Diamond lapping paste is expensive! About 15 quid for 6 or 10 micron grade which would seem to be the most suitable for your job. If you decide that money is no object then I can recommend "Eternal Tools" as a friendly and efficient supplier.
www.eternaltools.com
They advertise in ME, MEW & Clocks and carry an extensive range of diamond products, files (the expensive Swiss type) and other horological tools.
Cheers Brian
snipped-for-privacy@brian-james.demon.nl wrote:

I'm afraid that isn't the case. :-)
I decided to forego the toothpaste and got a 100g tube of Autosol from the local car spares place for 2.50. It seems to be good stuff...
-- Wally www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.
Don't confuse it with the, "Anusol" tube, else you will feel devastated!

Deep in the forest in the dark of night on Monday 3 November 2003 9:53 am, with a cackle and an evil grin, Superior Intellect cast another eye of newt into the brew and chanted:

This group could do with some for use with your posts. I hear it cures anal irritations...
--
MattD..