Chain Model

No you don't have to send this to ten of your friends.
I need to find some info at least, or a model at best, of a chain that is
slightly larger than a bicycle chain. I'm designing a tailgate lift and I need to model a manufactureable or commonly available chain.
Does anyone have any experience with this and can point me in the right direction? I'm assuming that there are different standard sizes of chain, and if that's the case then pointing me to where I can read up would be great.
TIA, Muggs
I have a part file each for connector & roller links of all the common RC sizes, from little to big. Want it? Just put them together to make a chain assy. Or, to save rebuild time, put a couple links on each end and use a sketch in between. You can also extrude an overall outline shape of the chain along that sketch to get a path profile. But wait, there's more...if the chain is used in a lifting application, or whatever some non-circular path, the sketch can update the "other end" length based on the overall length and the position of the controlling end. This is done with an equation and a rebuild. But wait........sorry, that's it. :-)
Tell me what you want from me.....
WT

that's

http://www.daidocorp.com /
Thanks Kenneth!
Muggs

is
For a static chain I use a multi body, part quick and easy, no mates. Just model one link, and use a curve driven pattern along a spline of the chain centre.
have an example if any one would like it.
steve

Try McMaster-Carr. They give a good breakout of chain types (search for "roller chain" and go to the ANSI Roller Chain page). That's www.mcmaster.com. And once you find the page(s) you can bring them up as PDF by hitting the Print icon . . . then just save the PDF file to your hard drive.
'Sporky'
Muggs wrote:

Holy Cow!!
I reach for the McMaster-Carr cat. for almost everything, and I never even thought to look for chains there.
Anyhow, thanks Spork, Muggs

is
that's
Muggs wrote:

Reach for? What on Earth for? Free yourself from the bondage of tiny print and paper cuts:
http://mcmaster.com
Jim S.
Calm down, calm down. It's just a figure of speech.
OK, I will admit that my first reaction is to "Click" on the McMaster-Carr link at the top of god old IE6, BUT, there's nothing like thumbing through the old paper catalog. I'll bet I've spent over $1000.00 on things that didn't think that I needed, just because it was between where I was and where I was going in the catalog. Not to mention how excited I get when the new one comes in the mail. OK, so I miss the old Sears Christmas wish book.
Muggs

even
Muggs wrote:

IE6? What on Earth for? Free yourself from the bondage of popup ads, security exploits and dozens of open windows cluttering your taskbar...
http://mozilla.org http://mozilla.org/products/firebird / http://mozilla.org/products/thunderbird /
:)
Jim S.
Boy, I knew that was going to be a mistake!
I tried Mozilla a while back (maybe a year and a half) and I can't remember why I didn't like it. So, OK I'll try it again. Now do I want the plain vanilla or the firebird variety?
Muggs

McMaster-Carr
Muggs, try this, you'll like it! It has popup and ad blocking and sites are opened within a main window. Lots of customization options and it uses the IE engine so pages render the same way.
http://www.avantbrowser.com /
- Eddy

Hey Eddy, Thanks,
I really like Avant Browser so far! Boy are my eyes opened. I'm usually saying things like "Must use Microsoft, must use Microsoft" for reasons I don't really understand. ; )
Anyway, Thanks Muggs

taskbar...
Muggs wrote:

Firebird renders some of the corner cases better. I've used Mozilla exclusively since about 1.3, but I'm using Firebird and Thunderbird more and more. Firebird is Mozilla without all the fluff. No email or news.
Tabbed browsing alone makes it 100x more useful than IE.
Jim S.
Am I the only Opera user here?
Dale Dunn wrote:

I used it briefly. As a long time Netscape user, Mozilla/Firebird was simply more familiar to me. Opera was my first taste of tabbed browsing though. Now I won't use a browser that doesn't have it.
Jim S.

I had it installed for a while. I found XNews a little easier to learn and use for some of the higher functions. I have also used Netscape and liked some things about that as well.
matt
I don't like Opera for news & mail. I'm an Xnews user too. For mail, I'm afraid it's Outlook for how it handles multiple accounts.
What I really like about Opera is how much control you have at the top level of the interface. I can toggle loading of images with a button. F12 brings up a quick preferences list with useful things like whether or not to block pop-ups (some are actually useful). Tabbed browsing IS really cool. I'm spoiled by mouse gestures now.
I think I stick with Opera now for the same reason you stick with Netscape. I switched over to Opera when NS 4.72 was all there was for a long time. IE happens only when necessary, so that was never an option. I just really like the way Opera works.
Dale Dunn wrote:

oh god. i HATE the way it handles multiple accounts. It throws everything in the same inbox! At least, my boss's is set up that way on his laptop. I don't know if you can change that. Blech!

check out MozillaFirebird. I like it better than opera. Pretty sure it has gestures as well. CTRL+wheel zooms in & out. Tabbed browsing.
Only thing is, I have yet to see a browser match the ease of use of konqueror when it comes to adding bookmarks.
--nick "i can't wait for Mandrake 10 & KDE 3.2!" e.
unintentional side effect.

I set up some rules to separate them out. The last time I tangled with Moz mail, I couldn't get it to handle multiple accounts in a way I liked, and it couldn't import my mail archive (I'm locked into MS! Argh!)