electric chain hoist repair

I must be lucky. On the last bin of apples for the year, my 3 phase 1 ton electric chain hoist gave out. Dropped a 800 lb. bin of apples in the water dump with a SPLASH. Glad my hands and arms were out of the way.

The unit must have some kind of brake that comes in to hold a load in place. The unit will raise a load but as soon as you let go of the raise button it freewheels down fast. Anyone ever repair one of these? I think its a Coffing brand, very old.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Sounds like a problem. Its been 30 years since I last took one apart, Is it a silver rounded box, I think there is a Electromechanical brake on the end of the motor. Power on, Clunk chain raises, power off, Clunk chain stops, same in reverse. should have shown some slippage before giving out completely, something must have jammed on the brake, maybe rust or corrosion. Its a very simple system to repair. gary

Reply to
Gary Owens

--Sounds to me as if you're pushing the load limit of the unit. I've got two Coffing hoists; an ancient 500-lb capacity one that uses a bicycle chain and a newer 1000-lb one with proof chain. Got the first one

*new* for $200; it does slip if the load gets too high; is this the one you're using? If so an 800-lb lift is reeeeally dangerous...
Reply to
steamer

If its a 1 ton (2000lbs) like he said, it should be now where near the load limit with only 800 lbs gary

Reply to
Gary Owens

Coffing doesn't sound right, I think it was Budget, but years ago I used to repair units similar to these that used the motor laminations as an electromagnetic brake. The laminations would become rough (on the end) and they would have to be refaced.

I have used both a lathe with *VERY* sharp tool and a rotating head mill (rotary table would be fine, too) to face these laminations. It is a fiddly job that requires some patience, since the laminations would just as soon bend as not.... grinding might be a good alternative.

On the other side of the coin... this is a pretty poor way to make a hoist.... I never considered them safe.

Reply to
Gene Kearns