Chain hoist chain

Is there a name or specification for the specislly sized chain used on chain hoists?

I have an old Yale 1/2T chain hoist with no chain. No chain from the hardware store, marine supplier or biz specializing in chain and wire rope fits the chain wheels properly.

I know such chain exists, i.e. that Yale didn't use some special proprietary chain 80 or so years ago because I tried the wheel on a piece of chain in use on a fairly new Chinese hoist in someone else's shop -- it fits perfectly.

So how do I find or specify the right kind of chain?

Reply to
Mike Spencer

I have an old busted 1/2 ton electric chain hoist. If you can figure what chain you need, I'll compare it to mine.

I'd just let you try it, but shipping to you is HORRIBLE. (Canada)

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

This has some specs on EN818-7 ja JIS B8812 chains..

Check if those match the chinese hoist chain? I would guess that the chinese one has some metric standard in use.

There's propably EN, JIS, DIN, ANSI etc. standard chains.. Have fun! Finding a supplier of chains and calling them, after measuring the working chain, would be a good way to go..

Kristian Ukkonen.

Reply to
Kristian Ukkonen

Reply to
Ignoramus11177

Yeah. I ordered something that weighed a bit over a pound and it cost US$12 by USPS.

Thanks, though.

Thanks to Kristian Ukkonen for the pointer to the Pewagchain site. I'll try to match those specs against chain that can be seen to fit the hoist. Then maybe I'll be able to tell the chain vendors their business.

A lot of bother. I don't even need to lift 1/2T. I just need to be able to easily and quickly position a 50 or 100 pound workpiece at exactly the right height on a jib crane.

I may end up buying a cheapo Chinese hoist and pirating the chain, just because I like using old tools. :-)

Reply to
Mike Spencer

I keep stumbling over Chinese and Taiwanese chain hoists for very little money. I think the last one I bought was 3.5 Tons and I paid $5 for it. Out in the cargo container there is at least 2 5 gallon buckets with manual chain hoists piled in them. Perhaps 4-6 and then of course..I still have at least 3 maybe 4 electric hoists, from 1/4 ton-1 ton and most of these are 1phase electric except for 1 CMC 3ph

Gunner..who certainly doesnt need all those if anyone comes by Taft

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yeah, Mike'll probably walk over tomorrow, from NS, and grab one.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I like the 1/4 ton lever hoist from HF for jobs within its range, like pulling posts and roots and working on small engines.

The ratchet step height is 5mm. It's compact and light enough to stuff in a pocket, leaving both hands free to climb a ladder or carry other rigging gear out into the woods. I bought it to put together a log lifting tripod I could carry in one hand, with the chainsaw in the other. A few days ago I used it to disentangle and stabilize a large branch that fell and wedged among small trees behind the house, before that to pull a ground rod that had stopped short on ledge.

The brake can be difficult to release for loads above ~400 lbs, like my logsplitter.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The load sheave is on the hoist is probably designed to fit only Grade 80 chain. Grade 80 chain is for overhead lifting. If I Google "chain grades", my first hit is:

Your remark about "proprietary chain 80 or so years ago" was likely pure coincidence.

Reply to
guillemd53228

Yarn time:

Back in '65 I bought a Wright cable hoist/come-along. Did a lot of useful stuff.

In '68 I broke a pawl release spring, called Wright, ordered four 35 cent springs. The Guy wrote it down wrong so they sent me 4 springs for Model 2B and an entire, new model 2B, the latter for more than a day's wages at the time. It arrive COD at my POE when I was out so the boss paid. So I had *two* good come-alongs.

Fast forward 30 years. They've winched my cars out of mud sloughs, my truck out of the ocean (too many stupid pills that day?), swapped engines in trucks and fishing boats, loaded saw logs and more.

But I broke my last 35 cent spring. On to the internet:

  • Look for Wright Hoist: sold to a UK company.
  • Look for UK company: Sold to a US company.
  • Phone US company. The nice lady called up on her computer a copy of the tattered parts sheet I'd saved for decades, identified the spring and part number. But they didn't have one. All old stock had been sold to a remaindering company in Chicago.
  • Armed with the part number, call the company in Chicago. Yes, they have 10 of those springs, at US and change each, about C at that time. Only they won't sell them to me. I have to go through their Canadian agent in Moncton, New Brunswick.
  • Call the company in Moncton. Guy on the phone has never heard of the Chicago company! But he'll look into it.
  • A week later a little package arrives, 4 springs, C9.00 COD. Exchange rate, Moncton's markkup, possibly duty, sales tax, priority courier from Illinois to NB, priority courier from NB to NS. Yow!

After heated discussion with Moncton, we settled on $100 so I have 4

35-cent springs for $25 each, one in use and 3 spares that will last out my lifetime.

Ho hum.

That would do if nothing else works. But a $5 or $30 Chinese POS chain hoist will be better. No HF here but Princess Auto is very similar.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

Thanks, now I don't feel so bad about spending nearly $50 on parts to fix a 1950's TV antenna rotor. The gears cost $2.15 in the original catalog.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The chain is marked as to what grade it is. Every 8 links the side of the link is stamped with the grade of the chain. If it is not stamped it is a low grade chain.

John

Reply to
John

Okay, good. I can use that as a starting point. I think I'll be in town tomorrow to ask around again. How long has the "Grade 80" spec been around? I see the charts at the site you mentioned have different nominal "trade" dimensions, i.e. 7/32 and 9/32 but no 1/4 for Grade 70 while Grade 80 does have 1/4.

Yes, just guessing at how old the old Yale 1/2T chain hoist is. Might be as little as 50 years old but I doubt it.

Tnx,

- Mike

Reply to
Mike Spencer