Attention 1/32 kit manufacturers (Tamiya, Academy, Revell etc.)

Why beat each other to death with competing F-16s and F-4s etc. when people are this desperate for a Buccaneer:

jwadetjpp

The fact that there may be a few guys willing to pay $600 for a 1/32 Buccaneer, or a high price for any kit on eBay, doesn't necessarily mean that there are enough people interested in buying a kit, even at a "normal" price. It looks like there are only 4 or 5 guys bidding. They could be the only guys who want one. Even if there were 500 guys who would pay $100 for a 1/32 Buccaneer, that probably wouldn't make it economicaly viable when a good quality modern mold would probably cost over $100K.

Reply to
Dave Williams

I realize this, but are there really enough people who want F-16s to justify three different manufacturers all throwing their hats in the ring? Maybe so, and I understand Revell's Hunter did not do so well meaning a Bucc would also likely not sell well. My post was really somewhat sarcastic commentary on Academy doing an F-16 on the coattails of Tamiya as well as the ridiculous price on the Aerodynamix kit auction.

Reply to
jwadetjpp

I think there has been a need for a new 1/32 F-16 for a while. The old Revell and Hasegawa kits just don't cut it anymore with their detail, raised panel lines, and being earler versions. The Tamiya kit is a great kit, but may be too expensive for many people, and is specific to one particular version with what you get in the box. Academy apparently felt that putting one out that is only 2/3 the price plus give you the option (in theory) of multiple versions from the box is economically viable for them. Besides, I think it was rumored that they were doing one before Tamiya came out with thier kit. Maybe the Academy kit was in the advanced stages when Tamiya poped their kit out and Academy already had sunk money into their project and didn't want to abandon it.

Reply to
Dave Williams

That makes sense, I bet you are right.

Reply to