need help with WWI camo colors

Hi,
I'm building the Eduard Nieuport 17. The camo scheme I'm using calls
for green and chesnut. The Tamiya colors referenced are for XF-27
(black-green) and Hull red. BOth of these color are much darker than
the colors on the camo sheet, or on the boxtop. Can someone give me
some guidance on just what these colors should look like.
Lee
Reply to
leeroi
Hi Lee, The main problem with early Nieuport colors is that there are no original fabric samples known to exist with the French camouflage colors. The later 5 color French camouflage colors are well documented with several original examples known to exist, such as the SPAD XIII at the NASM and the Brreguet 14 in France. Polly scale has colors for French olive and Chestnut brown available that may be a food start, although I think that the early Nieuport brown was much darker. When I built my Nieuport 17 in Nungesser's markings I used Testors rubber for the brown, which was very dark brown. I used a light green for the green, and it looks good to me, although these are speculative colors at the least, since both colors appear pretty dark in the original black & white photos available. Hope this helps, Dave
Reply to
Dave
I took the ambiguity as a license for a little creativity. I ended up using Testors SAC Bomber green for the green, and Tamiya red-brown lightened with buff for the brown. Looks good to me!
Lee
Reply to
leeroi