Dull Dark green

Hi, i was wondering if anyone here at RMS would know what the approximate FS number would be for Dull Dark green? Or,could tell me who offers this color in acrylic? Thank you, Kelly Voyles

Reply to
Teresa Voyles

We need some more context in order to answer the question.

If this is in some kit instructions, what kit is it? What aircraft, tank, ship or whatever are you trying to model?

In cases like this it is best (and I think easiest) to work out what colour the original was painted, then lots of people here will be able to tell you what tin of model paint to buy to represent that colour best.

But Dull Dark Green could be any one of a number of greens, and since you want an FS number, you want an *accurate* answer, so we need some more help.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

Reply to
Teresa Voyles

Reply to
Steve Collins

There is a build-up on the Hyperscale site of an AVG P-40, and the author has this to say about colours

"When it comes to painting A.V.G. camouflage there are as many paint recipes as chicken recipes. The original colors were Dupont enamels that tried to mimic the standard RAF camouflage colors. For my P-40 I went with Tamiya Sky Gray for the bottom and Model Master acrylics, field drab FS30118 and green FS34079 for the top colors. Are these the right shades? I don?t know and your guess would be as good, or as bad, as mine. "

The German dealer JPS-modell (Don Color)

what appear to be acrylics in all of the pre-war and early war Government-specified US colour ranges.

(he does lots of others including all the RLM colors)

I've never dealt with him, so I can't say how good his service is.

He also has a couple of camouflage schemes for an AVG P40, and lists the colours as -

FS 34079 (the green) FS 30118 (the Brown) FS 36622 (the undersides)

No source is given for this info.

Hope this helps - The AVG is not my speciality.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

I am pretty sure the AVG aircraft were painted in "British-ish" colors (i.e. dark green, tan, sky). These colors did tend to vary, but I think one of the common/popular "dark greens" would suffice. I believe their numbers are 34079, and 34092.

One thing to consider: How much weathering and fading would the aircraft have experienced? The AVG was not around all that long....but they *were* operating in a somewhat harsh environment. Plus, you might want to research into how long the *planes* were in service. Were they in service with the Chinese Air Force for any period of time, *before* the AVG began flying them? I do not know this answer, off the top of my head, but it is something to think about...

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

IIRC most if not all of the AVG's planes were delivered to them new in crates.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Hi all.i just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my inquiry.I'm new to this newsgroup and it's encouraging to get so many responses.I'm still mulling over this issue as I'm building this kit for an August contest.Hopefully ,a week or 2 out,I'll have decided with what colors I'll be using! Thanks again,guys. Kelly Voyles

Reply to
Teresa Voyles

in article dkfte.7268$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, Teresa Voyles at snipped-for-privacy@jps.net wrote on 6/19/05 9:30 AM:

"The Official Monogram US Army Air Service & Air Corps Aircraft Color Guide" has paint chips for a bunch of early-war colors, including Dark Green 30. I can't find any statement in the book as to what official standards the chips are based on. Assuming they're accurate, Dark Green 30 is, indeed, VERY dark green -- it looks at least as dark as RLM 70 Black-Green. 34052 is close. I find it a little hard to believe that a color that dark was actually used for an alternative/equivalent to British Dark Green; does Baker actually say that? For that matter, this brings up a question I've never seen adequately answered: It's been written that Dark Green 30 became Dull Dark Green in the new nomenclature system, but every rendition of Dull Dark Green I've ever seen is significantly lighter -- much closer to 34092 (which is also quite a bit closer to British Dark Green). Pip Moss I used to feel cheap 'cause I had no signature.

Reply to
Pip Moss

I would like to hear from Dana Bell on this one. I know that there were some changes in colors between FS595a and FS595b and you have to know what became what.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey