tubing for .30 & .50 guns

Hi all,i was wondering if anyone here can put me onto the info for what size tubing could be used to replicate .30 and .50 MGs on 1/48 scale aircraft(USAAF). Also,what material is better to work with?Brass,Aluminum,what's your favorite and why? Thanks for any info on this. Regards, Kelly Voyles

Reply to
Teresa Voyles

Al Superczynski

The ID of the tubing should be about .30/48, or 6 mil (do the same math for the 50 caliber). This is VERY small. I have heard of surgical stainless steel tubing with this small an ID, but not the normal brass or aluminum at hobby shops.

On the other hand, you might consider sizing by OD and let ID fend for itself. In this case you would probably use 1/16, the smallest you can ordinarily buy (as in K&S). Use brass 'cause in that size the aluminum is a bit fragile. The gun will be OVERSIZE in OD, but won't look too bad. If you want to really scale it accurately, you'd need a hobby lathe and start with brass rod, drill end 6 mil, turn OD to proper size.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Best 1/48 scale .50 cal. gun barrels In my oppinion the Karaya barrels look the best, since they are a scale diameter, and are perforated to match the actual jacket. They do not make a .30 gun yet. Also note that the perforated barrels would not be seen on a P-47, since they were covered by the steel jackets. But any bomber that had .50 cals are an excellent option to use the karaya guns, they are also available in just the barrels if you don't need the resin receivers.

Dave Calhoun

King's Hobby here in Austin sells small cut sections of SS tube in at least two sizes. The small envelope I have at hand is labeled Minimeca Ref 119, Tubo 0.80 x 10, 20 unidades. Looks about right for .50 cal. Also you might want to check out .50 cal. barrels and cooling jackets from Karaya, also at Kings or found online.

At one of the shows last year I found some lengths (about 8 inches) of steel tube at should work very well. Wish I could remember the vendor.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

I buy needles from the local pharmisist 19 guage is about right for 50 cal in 1/48.I've just done some for my p47N ,basically I use a vernier caliper or micrometer to measure the kit barrel diameter and measured needles till i find one that came up to the same diameter. To cut it I put it in a pin-vice and use a needle file to file a groove around it ,and snap it off, put it back in the pinvice and square the end off . I think I used 16guage in my Revell 1/32 P40, which I got from my local vet ,they use bigger sizes on horses and cattle , than on humans .

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Reply to
R. Wink