Can anyone steer me?

I know there is a wealth of knowledge here, and I need some help.

I want to build an ultrasonic generator of mass proportions. I have a couple of neighborhood dogs that bark and bark and bark. I want to make a device that is above the range of human hearing. The ones I see for sale are limited in their range.

I have seen LRAD transponders for sale on ebay. What would I have to hook one of these up to? Would they work?

Or could I just use the common megaphone shaped speaker that is a cheapie on a ultrasonic generator?

Where do I get an ultrasonic generator?

Could I run it through a regular old stereo amplifier to magnify a small one?

I want to train these dogs that when they start their eight hour long barking binges that they will be punished with uncomfortable sound.

Reply to
Steve B

I don't know what frequencies dogs respond to, but assuming a f(max) of

40Khz you could use an old K band satellite dish ( 3-4 foot diameter) to focus a piezo transducer, maybe a Motorola tweeter, driven by a Crown Microtech 5000 from a signal generator that you can sweep up in the 30 to 40 KHz range.

cheers T.Alan

Steve B wrote:

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

You will need to provide more information, the most important of which will be the distance over which you want it to work.

The air will attenuate the signal pretty quickly. In order to pump enough energy out, a mechanical means to generate the signal (an ultrasonic whistle powered by compressed air) may be the way to go. Directing that energy, as Alan suggests above, is a good idea.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Instead, why not reward them with a nice chunk of bread soaked in antifreeze?

Reply to
Frosty

You should start by calling the police over and over again. It won't make you popular with your neighbor but it's completely legal, unlike everything else being proposed here.

Can you imagine a neighbor whose child went deaf and who happened on your posting in an archive? God, they'd sue you for *everything*.

It's really your neighbor's behavior, not the dogs. He/she is obviously neglecting the animals. Many communities have barking dog laws that your neighbor may be in violation of.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

That will work just fine. Get caught on that one, get tossed in the pokey and you don't have to worry about listening to barking dogs...

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Been there, done that, got the T shirt. Neighborhood arbitration. The guy said my 8 hour recording of his dog barking was not legally admissible. At the beginning of the session, he agreed to sign papers at the end of the session for the record. At the end of the session, he refused to sign. He is an ex cop.

We have been round and round over the last two years. Christmas Eve, the dog barked from sundown to sunup. The owners were out of the country and did not return until the 27th. They did the same thing over New Year's Eve. So, those two nights, no sleep.

When you call the police here, they tell you they have no jurisdiction, and that you have to call animal control. When you call animal control, they say you have to have two other citizens sign complaints with the DAs office to make it a legal matter. They don't work at night, when the dog barks, and said that when they came to the house during the day, that the dog could not be heard barking. They DID, however, come out when I told them that the dog had been left outside in freezing temps while the owners were out of town. They left a door hanger, but not a citation saying the dog was without shelter. The owners claimed they had people caring for the dogs, but I never saw one of them. I told them that they should get their money back, as the people never showed up. They said that the dog had access to a heated garage via a doggie door. I said that he preferred to stay up all night outside with the constant woof woof woof. (Lab)

Anyway, long story short, doing things legally by the book isn't working, doesn't work, hasn't worked.

Now, I'll just do it my way. I do not intend to put on sound and leave it on. I just want to be able to give some directed blasts when the dogs bark, and perhaps they will learn that when they bark endlessly and needlessly, that there's a big bad sound that follows.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Where would I get these items?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

There was a thread on this topic a while back. Check the archives. One possibility is a scrounged DirecTV dish and an ultrasonic whistle. A Hartmann or Galtier ultrasonic whistle can be made easily on a lathe. No electronics necessary, cost zip if you have compressed air, sound pressure level considerably higher than most tweeters are capable of. Details in previous thread.

Reply to
Don Foreman

That is disgusting. The dog has no ill will toward you. Deal with the owner.

By your standards, if you play your stereo too loud, the neighbor should come over and cap you. (metal content)

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Awright, that's unacceptable and you did try nice first. It's no less legal for you to make noise than for him or his, and if the cops can't hear dogs barking they certainly can't hear ultrasound. Last time I researched it (20 years ago) there was no evidence that ultrasound is hazardous to humans -- or dogs for that matter, though dogs definitely find it objectionable.

Check out

Happy machining!

I'll leave this up for a week or so.

Reply to
Don Foreman

One that would do that would be execrable vermin while the dog is merely misbehaving. The dog has no malicious intent, merely needs to be taught better manners. Bad manners is one thing, a cowardly malicious act like sneaky poisoning is quite another.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Might it be possible that after you build such a device the dogs might still bark from the noise?

You might want to consider getting a petition signed from the neighborhood requesting that your town enact or enforce some noise pollution laws.

Reply to
tony

Depends on the dog, but not likely with a Lab. Labs are very trainable. We had a Lab that became a barker once. We got a complaint from a neighbor so we had to do something about it. My wife trained her not to bark in one afternoon and she never did it again. Yes, they remained best of friends for many years.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 17:44:43 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Don Foreman quickly quoth:

The only problem is that 90% of all dog owners are NOT trainable and don't give a shit. This is one of my largest peeves in this world.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In spite of all the pussy-farts who responded to my last post on this subject, I actually had a neighbor just like yours. His dog was a pit bull. I befriended the dog, gave him treats and taught him that if I made a certain sound (like a kissing noise) he'd stop barking (for a little while anyway.) I did this by making the sound, handing him a treat, petting him and telling him he was a good dog. After awhile I stopped giving him treats and just petted him and praised him. Eventually just the sound worked. Of course that didn't stop the stupid bastard from waking me up at the crack of dawn with his brainless barking. To fix that I just opened the gate and freed him to frolic in heavy traffic.

Reply to
Frosty

90% of humans do not even understand their OWN behaviors, regardless of whether or not they are dog owners.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

"Frosty" , apparently in a vain clueless attempt to answer my post and become a part of the conversation, but instead posted the following worthless incoherent mindless drivel:

"Steve

The dog is not accessible. He's behind a fence. Sorry your attempt to converse with a dog didn't go so good. Perhaps you should try harder. Get down to their level, lick their genitals. Speak dogese. I'll bet you could do it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

So you trained another's dog to expect treats and attention when he barked, then released him when he responded to training by barking for you to come and play first thing in the morning. Brilliant! For your dessert, may I recommend the Prestone Souffle, Sir? Oh, and let's hear no bleating if some of your property should become mysteriously released from your captivity.

The next pussyfart you detect may actually be fish-breath -- but be of cheer, you may only be annoyed by it for a fleeting moment.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:14:37 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jon Danniken" quickly quoth:

Y'mean like Frosty, who gives treats and says "good dog" to dogs when they bark, further reinforcing their loud attention-seeking?

Let's up that to 98% of dog owners, eh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques