REA Green

I would appreciate hearing from anyone as to what color paint or paint mix would match the Railway Express Agency dark green used on their equipment. I have seen some references to Hunter Green but I don't know how to duplicate that color either. Thanks

Reply to
Barry Livingston

Hunter Green is that green which the New Haven used at one time on their passenger cars and some locomotives.

Accu-Paint makes the color, sorry I don't have the stock number offhand.....but I tend to think it might be a tad too dark for REA from what I remember.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Barry,

I'm surprised no one has answered you by now. Unfortunately, I don't have a direct answer for you. Several years ago there was a book available on Railway Express and they had a modeling section where they suggested paint matches then available. I have this book and was going to get the info for you. . . .But I can't find it!

Hopefully someone else has this book though, or you may be able to locate a copy, so you can get the info.

Sorry...

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" In Illinois

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy

Not that this will help a whole lot, but failing a definitive answer, you might try asking your local club members or hobby shop dealer (if he's a modeler.)

Having just completed a project which involved no color pictures for matches, I can tell you that good 'nuff is often close enough. Hunter green is basically a dark green.

Dave Rutan

Reply to
Dave Rutan

I believe the book Paul refers to is "Railway Express - An Overview" by Vic Roseman. You don't say what REA equipment you want to paint, so the following is for REX RR rolling stock. Roseman lists 5 schemes:

I - 1929 to 1953 - Body is Pullman Green (very dark slightly olive green) with black ends and roof

II - 1947 new 6100 series welded cars - Silver car with 36" wide "green" stripe at passenger car window height bordered top and bottom by 2" red stripes. Silver gray roof.

III - 1953 - Dark green body (Roseman says it is closest to Tamiya XF-11 Japan Navy Green, but that it is also close to "Hunter Green"). The roof and ends may be black, gray, silver, or green. This scheme introduced the

60" tall "Railway Express Agency" red diamond herald on the cars.

IV - 1960 - Same as scheme III save that the words "Railway Express Agency" in 7" gold are replaced by the words "R E A Express" in 7" white.

V - 1961-2 - 7" RR Roman lettering replaced by sans-serif italic, herald changed to modern version with "R E A" over a large white "X", initially still in Hunter Green but soon changing to Chromate Green (Roseman says Pactra's color is very close). Roofs and ends also green, but sometimes reported as silver or gray.

I think Walthers did a pretty good job on the express reefers they offered a couple years ago in several of the above schemes. As an alternative to the Roseman recommendations, you might get a Walthers car and try to match their paint. Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer