Recommendations for bronze finish on Gatling gun

All,

Am building the Guns of History Gatling Gun, model 1866 and not sure how to get a bronze finish.

Have checked availability of metallizer paints and do not find a bronze.

Is there such a thing as bronze powder that could be mixed with clear and sprayed?

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Being "Old School" there are two shades of bronze in "Rub'n'Buff" wax

-- aged and new. You have to take care using it (not dangerous per se but sticks to whatever it hits!) and rub it on, then buff it up to a bright shine. It's supposed to be used on picture frames but modelers used to use it all the time before metallizer paints came out. (I did an Airfix B-29 in sliver leaf 40 years ago -- spent all summer but it looked GREAT when done!)

Cookie Sewell

PS you have to go to artist supply stores (AC Moore, Michaels, etc.) to find it.

Reply to
AMPSOne

Thanks Cookie.

I searched the net and found plating kits for sale - chemicals, heaters, pumps - real small industrial setups.

Will check out the local Hobby Lobby tomorrow for the Rub'n'Buff product.

After application - does the material dry so it does not come off with handling, or is a sealer needed to protect the surface?

Thanks again - just what I was looking for.

Regards,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

snipped-for-privacy@pdq.net (Doug) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@library.airnews.net:

Alclad makes a Copper color. Copper is one of the ingredients of bronze you might mix it with some of thier other silver colors 5 shades of aluminium, steel, chrome.

Humbrol has a bronze in thier metallic line. Antique bronze enamel and acrylic, and a plain bronze in enamel.

I like Humbrol if you can get it. Alclad is good, too and you could probably tune the color to just what you like. Alclad dries hard and fast and polishes nicely.

CMK has something called Bronze mettalic pigments.

Andrea, Tamiya (X-33), and Vallejo all list various bronzes.

Testors lists a bronze, too but I think it's an auto color. MM has a bronze that I use on ship's propellers but it's thick and dries sloooow.

Ding! Ding! This is what I was looking for.

Hawkeye Hobbies bought SNJ paint. They have an enamel and acrylic bronze and a bronze polishing powder. This stuff is amazing if he didn't screw up the formula. The first time I used it I got a 1/48 plastic propellor to look like it was cast aluminum.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Doug wrote: : : Am building the Guns of History Gatling Gun, model 1866 and not sure : how to get a bronze finish. : Go to the Dixie Art website, and look at Dr. Ph. Martins "Spectralite" Liquid Acrylic.

Bronze, Copper, two Golds (14k, 18k), Platinum, Silver, Brass, Nickel are offered.

The Gold really does look like gold. I think it was the 14k I used.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Frank,

Thank you for the valuable list of references.

My search was obviously insufficient.

Having used the SNJ aluminum powder - this may be the preferred product , or perhaps the spray metal.

Most unfortunately the Houston area has lost many of its model stores over the last several years.

In particular Hobby Island carried Humbrol paints, Alclad II, SNJ powders, Friulmodel tracks, and on and on - they stocked the most comprehensive collection of models, finishing products, and references I have ever seen in one location.

Am also going to investigate the Rub'n'Buff product suggested by Cookie Sewell.

Thanks again for the great references!

Regards,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

snipped-for-privacy@pdq.net (Doug) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@library.airnews.net:

Glad to help. That's what we're here for.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I believe Testors used to have a bronze color paint in their line.

I make bronze by mixing copper and dark grey. When that coat(s) is dry, I overspray with an airbrush with a grey and green mix to get a slight patina.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Don,

Thanks for the recommendation.

What ratio of copper / dark grey do you use?

Regards,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

I don't measure real accurately, but use somewhere in the range of 1:2 up to 1:1, copper to gray. I sometimes add a bit of green- just a drop, but usually leave the green to airbrushing all the guns before mounting in carriages.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Don,

Thanks for the tip - always good to benefit from experience.

What guns have / are you building?

Regards,

Doug

Reply to