Finish questions for steel kitchen appliances

Hi all,
We're having our kitchen redone and having all the appliances replaced. All the refrigerators we like have either a stainless steel front or have a
wooden front to match the cabinets. I like the magnet-on-the-refrigerator way of posting notes, my kid's art projects and the like. I proposed that we make a wooden frame to hold a thin piece of steel powder coated the proper color, but my the contractor seems to think powder coating is easily scratched. I'm used to powder coating race car parts, but haven't viewed the parts with an eye towards long term cosmetic appeal.
Powder coating has always seemed durable to me. Does it seem the wrong choice to you guys? What about "enameling" the front piece? Any other suggestions about how to finish a piece of steel so that it's scratch resistant, glossy and is available in colors that can be matched to a color chip?
Regards,
Peter

Some stainlesses are magnetic.

All
magnet-on-the-refrigerator
Yep. The SS on the front of the fridge we like isn't, nor do I like the look of brushed SS anyway...
Thanks,
Peter

Glass. 2mm glass on top of a steel plate may work. Simply glue on. You can even place a photo/poster under the glass. You may need slightly stronger magnets to work through the glass.
I would choose either Rust-Oleum or Krylon's "appliance epoxy" sprays over powder coating. Powder coating has more expense, less repairability and less scratch resistance in my experiences with it.
-Adam

Peter Grey wrote:

Nickle plated steel would give a nice finish, be magnetic and be rust resistant.
Ted