Welding 4140 to mild steel

For my new heavy shop press

I wanted to make an end piece for the hydraulic ram, so that the ram is enclosed inside the nose piece. This way, I hope, I can aviod deforming the valuable ram, and instead would expose a cheap end piece to all the deformations.

To that end, I grabbed a piece of 4140 structural tube, appx. 5 inches ID, 1/2" inch thick, and a mild steel round bar appx. 6.5 inches in diameter (a bit wider than the tube) and 1 inch thick.

After boring the tube a little bit so that it would fit over the ram, I welded the round to one of the ends of the tube. I used 3/16" 7018 welding rod at 180 amps.

Side view:

|! !| .|! !|. =============

The dots "." above signify the weld area.

It ended up looking half way decent. There was some intentional clearance between the inside of that tube and the ram, and I filled it with a rag (put a rag on top of the tube and pressed down with the ram, pulling the rag in as the ram went). The rag holds everything together and, I hope, will also provide some cushion and ease of removal.

And then I started doubting myself, about how well that weld is going to hold up to pressing at 75+ tons. 4140 is medium carbon and how well is the weld going to hold, in this scenario?

And, most importantly, if it fails, under pressure, how it is going to fail? If it just cracks, then nothing unsafe is going to happen. Just a little embarrassing. But could it shatter violently?

Supposedly, when pressing, the stress on the weld is not going to be much, as the pressing force is passed down from the ram, and the rag, to the bottom steel round. The tube is just there to keep everything together.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

thanks

Ignoramus3543

SNIP

Shouldn't be a problem. The load should be evenly spread across the surface.

Reply to
Steve W.

Not many jobs will require the full 75T capacity of the press.. I'd expect most jobs to be significantly lower.

I'm no metallurgist, but a piece of steel that can be bent without snapping will just deform under stress/tension. There could possibly be some reason for concern if working with work hardening stainless alloys.

Unless you try pressing endmills or other hard cutting tool steel into other parts, there should be no shattering, or flying bits breaking away from the workpieces.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

As you describe it there will be essentially no force on the weld as the ram will press against the mild steel which will press against the work (if I read your description correctly :-)

Reply to
John B.

Ignoramus3543 fired this volley in news:e82dnbEpGbfNmQrMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

What's to fail? The ram pushes on the plate, not the tube. The tube is only providing positioning and retention for the plate.

Were I you, I'd nix the rag between plate and ram. You can put three setscrews around the tube to hold the plate in place. The rag consitutes "cushion", as you noted. Anything that can absorb energy and spring back suddenly when released is bad to have around hydraulic presses.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I agree with Lloyd but for somewhat different reasons. I think you will get some distortion in the ram anyway and having a close fit will make it hard to take your weldment offi So I would put some set screws in the tube. I would only put in two set screws spaced about

60 degrees apart. And drill a slight bit into the ram where the set screws contact the ram so the set screws will not distort the ram and make it hard to remove. When you put it together put some wax in the hole so the ram and tube will not rust. And make sure the ram is not a close fit in the tube.

It would be better if the plate was 4140 and the tube was mild steel. The force will almost all on the plate.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

And that is why my fit is far from close, and exactly why I use a rag, to fill a space with soft material, keep the nose in place, and provide minimal cushioning.

I thought a lot about Lloyd's comment about cushioning providing some undesirable spring action, but, I think, a rag should not be able to store any significant energy.

Yes. The cylinder is double acting, so I think that I will be able to pull it out of the nose piece, if I ever need to.

As for set screws, I am afraid that they will get damaged by the pressing action and "play".

I agree with that, I used what I had available, not saying that it is the best selection.

Ignoramus12664

One thing I just thought of, Are the faces of both sides of the plate parallel? You don't want the face to be angled in any direction while your using the press. Not a good thing for precise work.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes, the plate was cut out from a hot rolled plate, it looks like.

Ignoramus12664

Cool. :)

Prob'ly 100% right too! :)

Spark test it and you'll know-more. ;)

I was given some hot rolled steel that's new-old-stock VascoWear. (type 421 tool steel, type 420 = A2)

Bought some hot rolled steel that was D2 Tool steel.

Igno, I know you from the blacksmithing newsgroup, please learn how to spark test?

Please? ;)

All you need are a few known samples.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Normally, to weld 4140 to Mild steel you would use a stronger rod, like

8018. You should also have preheated the whole piece to around 500 degF before welding and allow to slow cool under sand or some other insulator.

I doubt anything will explode. All the force is on the mild steel, however your welds will likely crack eventually. No big deal. Just grind out the cracks and reweld.

The rag will likely decompose over time and pressure into powder.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie, thanks a lot, I will be using it and will reweld as necessary.

Ignoramus12664

If it's not cracked yet, you can post weld heat treat the assembly at 1150F and that will reduce the potential for delayed hydrogen cracking. A post weld soak at 350 - 450 would work almost as well. The 7018 rod is fine as it matches the mild steel side of the joint and as long as the rod was dry (like in fresh out of the can or always protected in a rod oven) you should be fine. The medium carbon alloy steel is very susceptible to delayed cra cking and both the higher the strength of the rod and the greater the stren gth of the weld (i.e., size) the greater the chances of cracking. Crackin g will mostly happen due to residual stresses from welding. Service loads shouldn't be a problem unless the weld is undersized and then you'll get w eld metal cracking.

good luck.

John Gullotti

i do have a screen on my press, check the picture above

Reply to
Ignoramus17710

IMHO, ANY heavy press should be equipped with a substantial screen which is permanently attached to the press frame and can be positioned to prevent any flying shrapnel from striking any persons or property. The screen should be able to be moved aside (or up) to load the work into the press then easily positioned to contain any possible shrapnel caused by the failure of the press, its attachments or jigs or of the work. The positioning of the screen should be done before ANY substantial pressure is applied.

Some would suggest that the screen should be equipped with a micro switch that prevents application of substantial pressure without the screen being locked into place, but most workplaces just have a sign requiring the use of the screen. I suspect that a screen is a requirement of OH&S / OSHA.

"Protect yourself at all times" is not just for boxers.

Good Luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private