remove discoloration from stainless after welding

Here's the project:

How do I remove the discoloration from welding without damaging the
scratches that are in there?
thanks,
chris
Reply to
Christopher Prosser
I use Citrisurf. A citric acid based pickling solution applied with electricity.
It works very well and is much gentler than Nitric/Hydroflouric Acid based pickles.
Ernie Leimkuhler
Just how is it applied? Bath or brush? Work + or -? TIA.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards
Have you tried just a plain scotch brite pad you can use with a small grinder? We power brush our welds in food processing with these.
-- "Pay peanuts.....expect monkeys."
Reply to
jessp
That's splendid. I previously went to praxiar and was unable to purchase the nitric acid in small quantities because of the hazardous shipping problems.
--chris
Reply to
Christopher Prosser
Kind of a brush.
I use a 7 inch piece of copepr tube with acrylic tube covering the last 5 inches as a handle. The exposed end is hammered flat and a 1/2" x 4" strip of scotchbrite pad is wrapped around the end and held in place with a plastic ziptie.
I replace the scotchbrite pads every few minutes as they wear out.
My power supply is a 36 volt DC machine made for electro-etching. It puts out about 4-5 amps max.
It works great.
There is a really fancy unit sold by Walter Abrasives of Canada that actually pumps the citric acid electrolyte out to a scotchbrite covered wand. It is aclled Surfox.
Do a google search for "Walter" and "Surfox".
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
You are always so informative. Now I know that when I'll start to work with stainless, I'll just can use my lab power supply to clean the welds. Thank you.
Reply to
jerry_tig2003