I have a 1/2 barrel keg that I rescued from the scrap heap. It had
several small holes drilled in it(presumably from the mfg to scrap).
Welded it up with no problem. The problem I have is that it has red
oxide floating around inside that I presume is rusty steel. It was
there before I welded it up, so it is not from that.
How do I go about removing this and getting a "clean" interior?
Mechanical means are out. I presume some sort of acid bath. What
type? How strong? I have easy access to phosphoric acid and can get
reasonably strong hydrocholoric without breaking the bank.
I would like to get this to a sanitary status, as I intend to use it
as a fermenter for homebrewing.
18 years ago