Re-passivating Stainless Steel in Marine Environment

Hello All,

I am having a problem with surface rusting of some stainless parts on our boat. I have been researching passivation of stainless steels, and it is my understanding that this can only be done in a nitric or citric acid bath. There is a product called Wichinox that claims to "re-passivate" stainless steel. It is a paste/polish that you apply by hand, and contains phosphoric acid. Does this sound possible to any of you, or is the company stretching the truth a bit for marketing purposes? If I recall, plain (and inexpensive) naval jelly contains phosphoric acid, could I use this with similar results?

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
kevinabennett