welding coke cans

greets group, i've heard the stories.. and even seen some pictures, now i'm trying my hand at welding aluminum soda cans end to end.

this may be premature, as i've only tried two sets of cans so far, but its driving me nuts. i can get a decent bead 1/4 of the way round and then blow through one of the 'walls'

tried with 1.6mm (1/16?) zircs and they balled up quick and i had no arc control.

then stepped up to 2.4mm (3/32) and bumped my frequency all the way up to 500hz (highest setting). the tungsten maintains its point, and the hifreq arc is easier to control, but i'm still blowing holes at around 40amps.

the only aluminum filler i have is 3/32 (i think its MgSulfur .. s6?) that way too big? my other option is 1mm aluminum mig wire but it burns back way too fast and i can't keep up with the feedrate.

ps, i have no pedal/amp control.

tips? lost cause? thanks,

-tony

Reply to
tony

I saw it at a model air show - Pylon racing of 1/4 scale - It was brazing - super soft "Al" alloy metal.

The lady there used a propane torch and filled a bottom of can.

Mart> greets group,

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I know a guy who can do it. He doesn't weld them all the way around. Just 3 or 4 one inch stiches. If you try to keep it going for more than a few seconds, you wind up burning through. Also, I think he TIGs them at 5 or 10 Amps.

Mike aka Terrible Ted

Mart> I saw it at a model air show - Pylon racing of 1/4 scale -

Reply to
mike

I've heard it this way: A good tig welder can weld aluminum cans end to end. A _really_ good tig welder can weld a bottom of one can to the side of another can ;-)

YMMV,

D> I know a guy who can do it. He doesn't weld them all the way around.

Reply to
Don W

end. A _really_ good tig

Reply to