How to cost efficiently clean rust from steel plate

I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically transform into welding tables.
They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be
removed.
What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

I am a little leery of putting those plates in a fire, one is that the village may not like it, and two, the plates may get warped.
Ignoramus25707 wrote:

Can you take them somewhere to be abrasive blasted inexpensively? I agree with the caution on the angle grinder, the last time I used a 9" I could barely move my arms for a few days after.

The way ig beats his effing meat on this ng, I'm sure he would have no problem with a 15" angle grinder. WhoTF would buy a 30" high welding table, anyway, besides a midget or a yogi with a strong back????
But steve's floor sander/screens is a good idea. A belt sander would also do.
--
EA

Existential Angst wrote:

I know a welder with a table about that high if not a bit lower but the table is about 8' x 12' and often used for building structural steelwork.

A belt sander is often used for imparting "grain" to metal. Gives a nice finish. I use to program and machine a ton of face plates for Krell who makes very expensive audio amplifiers and this is how they were finished. Luckily we subbed out that job or I would have been stuck doing that as well. ====================================================== That is inneresting -- almost always in alum, it seems. I remember quite well the grained faceplates to stereo equipment, a very common (and nice) motif, and then anodized. I always wondered about that effect.
That's something I may be able to improvise, as well. I was thinking of building a kind of "square timesaver" sanding unit, with 4 belt sanders mounted on each face of square/rect tubing, and just shooting the tubing thru. Heh, mebbe next week.... LOL
Alum is such a pita, tho, really gums stuff up.
--
EA

On Jan 24, 1:07pm, Ignoramus25707 <ignoramus25...@NOSPAM. 25707.invalid> wrote:

It depends on what the rust is like. But for rust as you describe, i wire brush and then use citric or phosphoric acid. For wire brushing, I use what I have. A regular 1/2 hp motor mounted in a yoke on a thing with three casters and a flexible shaft. A large angle grinder and a cup brush might be better.
Dan

> >What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle

>It depends on what the rust is like. But for rust as you describe, i

> brushing, I use what I have. A regular 1/2 hp motor mounted in a yoke

I don't know how cheap you want the rust removal, but I don't know what is better than wiping (20 or 30 type) car engine oil on the surface. It removes most kinds of rust and keeps it away. Apply every one or two months (as needed).

He can't put his shoes on without getting with his dick stuck in the toaster.

Maybe Iggy is trying to post something that has to do with metal working. And here you are discouraging people from posting about things related to metalworking. Talk about idiots.
Dan

Banquer, since you don't know anything _about_ metalworking, it might behoove you to read the query, first.
He didn't ask about prepping, he asked about rust _removal_, and the fastest, most efficient (count cost and time) way.
You spout crap you've read "on the web", and have never actually touched anything metal except for the cock ring you keep trying to suck on.
Lloyd

Fuck off and die, Loud.
Please repost "Doing Business with Jon Banquer"

And we have some more encouraging remarks by Jon. Such a nice guy and patient with those that are new to metalworking.
When are you going to post the pictures of your home shop?
Dan

Well I can remember when Iggy first started posting in RCM. It was not that long ago.
I have plenty of clues. One is that you are not someone that I would want as a friend. As far as being a moron, at least I managed to graduate from a respectable college.
Dan

Only a brain dead moron would complain abut the lack of posts on metal working and then proceed to complain about posts about metal working. And I don't care about how much money you spent to go to a trade school.
Haven't seen any pictures of your shop or posts from you about recreational metalworking.
Dan

If you had a better education, you would be able to respond without using profanity.
Dan

The choice to exclude profanity from one's vocabulary has nothing to do with his quality of education.
On Jan 27, 7:54pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"

ith

In your case, the intelligence and knowledge are clearly there regardless of profanity. Some others seem to resort to profanity because they have nothing to say.
Dan

Syphilitic vamp.
On Jan 28, 12:16am, "PrecisionmachinisT"
Most that use profanity do not have you vocabulary.
Dan