How to cost efficiently clean rust from steel plate

Only a brain dead moron would complain abut the lack of posts on metal working and then proceed to complain about posts about metal working. And I don't care about how much money you spent to go to a trade school.

Haven't seen any pictures of your shop or posts from you about recreational metalworking.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

A Phaser set on Annoy?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't know about cost effectiveness. I tend to use a wire wheel on a grinder. On flat surfaces, the cup wheel style works best for me. I asked a Sait salesman once about it and he suggested a flap wheel sanding disk on the grinder - it works, but sure seems like a lot more time and effort. There are some of those 3m type fiber disks that I have not tried.

Reply to
DanG

If you had a better education, you would be able to respond without using profanity.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

n 24, 1:07 pm, Ignoramus25707

I mean, if you want the cheapEST way, then yeah. Any electrician, or even construction worker will tell you that, maybe in any language you want, too. Wipe down enough with any kind of car engine oil and it can make old, spider-webby, rusted rigid, emt pipe, strut or troughs and clamps look as good as new.

(I've never seen this done this with copper, brass or aluminum conduit, clamps or other supports, though - just rigid and emt)

Reply to
Transition Zone

If you have a lots of sheets to do, and have the space and can deal with the mess, sand blast them.

rent or build the equipment yourself.

Reply to
jdc

I kind of like the chemical idea, also, because it takes comparably little work. I will try.

Ignoramus17320

Now that you say it, I have a Tennant style brush with metal bristles. I will look into how I could use it.

Ignoramus17320

Buy some steel cup brushes from Ohio Brush. They are very very good, will give you excellent service and will last a long time.

Or have a sand blaster do the work for you at considerably more money.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

It's already been done! And, can you guess who did it? Oh yea...that would be me. Mostly used to clean/prep metal roofs for coating.

Tom Gardner

Of anybody, YOU could probably build one! Can I have a prototype! Could you add an "IRRITATE" setting for me?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Why are you always so negative?

So what would be you first choice?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Then it is a little hard to understand why you infest this group. It is basically a group for those who want to discuss recreational metal working and is hardly where one would expect an ineffective computer programmer to be found.

Reply to
J.B.Slocomb

I wonder if you could do it electrically? Say with a large piece of cloth s aturated with PH Up from a swimming pool supply and a power supply. Pos sid e of the power supply hooked to a piece of sheetmetal, laid on top of the s aturated cloth, and the neg side hooked to the plate. I do this with smalle r parts in a bath often and it removes rust quite well, but slow

Reply to
Gerry

The choice to exclude profanity from one's vocabulary has nothing to do with his quality of education.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

HAHAHA!!!

--instead, you sit on usenet blathering about profanity....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

In your case, the intelligence and knowledge are clearly there regardless of profanity. Some others seem to resort to profanity because they have nothing to say.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

                   Dan

There are some youtube videos that are good, but in most cases the video is slow compared with reading. So in general I skip the videos.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Nice. What kind of rpm can that handle? You don't make something similar that would fit on a long arbor buffer do you?

Reply to
Steve W.

I have a hard time with your logic. Iggy has not presented enough information to make a first choice, yet you can make a last choice.

Based on Iggy's previous posts, I would expect that he is thinking in terms of three of four in a month and getting them clean enough to be part of a welding table. And the size is what turns up so could be from a couple of feet square to maybe as large as 4 by 10. So perfect is not needed. Hardly worth setting up sand blaster and dip tanks would just take a lot of room for not much use.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster