Rivarossi is morte!

got to horbyrailways.com news press releases Electrotren

It lets everyone know that Rivarossi is gone!

Reply to
PEACHCREEK

Since I never thought highly of Rivarossi due to a negative experience with one of their Krauss-Maffei models, I'm tempted to say, "No great loss."

Though the people who worked there might feel otherwise :-)

Dieter Zakas

Reply to
Hzakas

I don't think it's that clear;

"The proposed acquisition of certain assets of Lima S.p.A is also proceeding to plan. If, as expected, we are able to complete the acquisition of the Lima assets later this year, we will be in a position of brand leadership in model railways in Spain (Electrotren), France (Jouef), Italy (Lima/Rivarossi) and of course the UK (Hornby)."

"certain assets of Lima S.p.A." What are the uncertain assets? I read that they are buying part of the line. I would think they would add USA to their brand leadership if they were getting Rivarossi intact.

CTucker NY

Reply to
Christian

Just checked it out. Oh well. While there I looked through the Hornby steam locomotives for fun. Some neat stuff there but the 0-6-0 Q1 has to be a strong candidate for the ugliest steam locomotive of all time. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

While I don't pay much attention to the European stuff an ad in RMC caught my eye. Trix is marketing to the US but what was neat was the drive system. They are using pinon/spur gears which they claim gives a free wheeling effect. If anyone gets one of their mikes can you grab it by the rear coupler and pull it????? Again it's a light USRA 2-8-2 as if we didn't have enough of them on the market.

Reply to
Jon Miller

It sounds like they (Hornby vs Lima/Rivarossi recievers) have settled the purchase of specific groups of moulds. Missing from the above list are German, Austrian and US moulds which perhaps are of interest to the German/Austrian manufacturers and to US (Walthers?) marketers. There is also no mention of Arnold and Lima N scale.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Do NOT sell the Trix USRA Light 2-8-2 short! It is significantly better than anything I've seen so far. The detail is excellent. It runs like a watch and the chuff is the best sounding I have ever heard. Far better than the Broadway stuff, which, by the way, all sounds the same.

The whistle can only be described as the steam whistle you heard on that soft summer evening when you were courting your first love. Its that good!

What Trix DOES need to do is offer this loco in various road specific trim, eg. B&O Q-3, etc.

John Glaab Peach Creek Shops

Reply to
PEACHCREEK

"Jon Miller

Hopefully, this one is better than it's nearest competitor, the Athearn Spectrum 2-8-2.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

ROFL.......The Krauss-Maffei was the one model that Rivarossi built that accurately emulated its prototype. I do hope that those who lost their jobs find other suitable employment.

Reply to
Froggy

At $600 list over twice that of BLI list it better be good. And if you like tinkering you could get 6 Athearn's for that price. But the BLI engine is a heavy so really comparing apples and oranges there.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Have patience and jump when you see the model you want - Trix/Marklin's production system is to make a run of each individual roadname - wait - produce another road name - wait - ... etc Probably the next time a specific roadname is produced there will be changes to the specification/price.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Enough? There are only two at present. One by IHC, which is fairly basic, and the Athearn Genesis, which is something of a disappointment. If the Trix model is as good in quality as their German locos, it would be well worth having.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Salvé "Bruce Favinger" skrev i meddelandet news:wKjhc.159$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com...

Most British modellers think so too, however it was an enormously powerful engine for its size and considering the scarcity of materials in wartime Britain a total success :) Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

John, Everything you said about the Trix NYC 2-8-2 is quite valid and then some!!! But did you try to run the critter through turnouts? I can almost promise you that the Big Boy and this were done by two different builders. Injection plastic pilot and ladders?????????? I knew about the plastic cab, but this on a locomotive with this pricing?????? Contact wipers were installed on both sets of tender trucks that extend downwards to the same level as bottom of wheels making direct contact with switch points causing shorts and such. I sent mine back.....sure I could have fixed it.....but why???..... for this kind of money??? I was totally impressed with the electronics, but I have a nicely painted Key NYC H-6 for which I shelled out $350. I can easily put a Soundtrax unit in and still come out way ahead and have a quality brass locomotive to boot. I was so impressed with the Big boy, that I went for this model assuming much of the same quality and value would be there. It is not.

Reply to
Howard Zane

I'm probably alone on this one, but I think the Q1s were a good looking engine - rather "macho in fact. And having had the privilege of working on the preserved example, I would concur with Peter. They were a success, and a well thought out design from the maintenance and operations perspective.

Reply to
Mark Newton

"Roger T." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@grapevine.islandnet.com:

Uh, Athearn's line is Genesis. Spectrum is a Bachmann line.

Reply to
Woodard R. Springstube

"Woodard R. Springstube"

Doh!

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

My LHS owner told me this yesterday and said my set of the 60 foot passenger cars were now rare collectibles, as no more would be available. Unfortunately, the individual cars that Walthers had promised for sale later are also DOA, according to him.

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" In Peru, Illinois (Halfway between Utica and Granville)

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy

Consider this... The 60' cars are popular. The dies are in good condition. Can you imagine this capability to produce a desirable product being left to rust?

The cars MAY come from Hornby. There is also a rumor that some of the Rivarossi dies went to China.

Reply to
PEACHCREEK

In message , PEACHCREEK writes

Hornby now do all their manufacturing in China

Reply to
Ian Birchenough