A light or medium "Metallic" olive green; any suggestions??

Hello Group!!

I'm in the process of scratchbuilding/kit bashing an upgraded Romulan Bird of Prey from the Original Star Trek Series. I'm trying to place the kit in the same time period as the "refit" Enterprise-1701 and Enterprise

1701-A. I'm still a little ways off in completing the project but I have already started to consider the final paint scheme of the model.

In my search on the net of similiar projects I have come across a great many 3d designs on various websites. On one in particular

I found a ship that had a great paint scheme that I would like to use for my refit project.

Now the problem is that I'm sort of in the dark on creating a metallic "ish" looking green that would be match to what I see on the site. From the header to this message, I think its a Metallic Olive Green, but I could be really off. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to duplicate such a color as you see in the link above. I was thinking of getting a bottle oor two of Light Olive and Silver and mixing. However before I do that, I wondered if you folks had some suggestions.

Thanks for any help forthcoming!!!

D.K.Barnes

Reply to
D.K.Barnes

Couldn't figure out which particular bird you were looking at on the site. A straight metallic green wouldn't replicate the look of the original as they use a lot of shading to give depth and size to the bird. You might want to try a clear pearl on the edges and corners to give it the right look. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Do you think there might be a Model Master automotive color available? Something in the metallic jade green range. It might be easier to work with than trying to mix OD and silver.

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

Ooops Sorry

Its this one:

D.K.Barnes

Reply to
D.K.Barnes

automotive metal flake? but a close green and mix to match?

Reply to
someone

Testors has some transparent green in their regular line that sprayed over Buffing Magnesium 'might' attain that appearance. I've never seen that design before.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

OK, that' s slick looking. Let's examine what the artist accomplished. Basically you've got a jade green ship that has a basic "flat" tone. If you had a close-up you'd be able to see the shading of the different sufaces. The "metallic" effect you're noticing is the artist portraying a light source (sun, etc.) glinting off the front of the ship. You'll be able to replicate this by displaying your model in a room with bright lights; like at a contest. You'll need to coat it with at least a satin overcoat if not a full gloss. I'm not sure if a full gloss is suitable for a spaceship, maybe somewhere between satin and full gloss. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

"D.K.Barnes" wrote in news:chq3c0$qge$ snipped-for-privacy@prometheus.acsu.buffalo.edu:

I've thought of doing several "transitional" Trek kits myself. This sounds like an awesome project, I'd love to see some in progress shots and can't wait to see it finished!

TF

Reply to
TForward

In case you haven't already, go to

No doubt there are a boatload of people who've figured this one out, might save you some time and frustrations.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete .mil.nav to email

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

Hello

I'm a regular to that group. I figured this time I would try a question out to a bigger modeling audience (figured on a maybe getting to a broader experience set) then my favorite (and only???) "Sci-Fi" Spacecraft hangout.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions; they are appreciated!!!

D.K.Barnes (starship modeler handle "DarKev")

Reply to
D.K.Barnes