Polar Lights 1/350 Star Trek NCC-1701A Enterprise engine Q

I see the 1/350 NCC-1701A kit claims to have parts to also build the 1701. Now, not being a diehard Trek fan, but my interest is renewed with ST now on TVLand, but I want to build the Enterprise from the series. The best I can tell, the 1701 has the cylindrical engine pods & the 1701A has the squred ones. I've seen some reviews on the kit but they haven't said anyting about the engines. So, is the 1701 the one in the series & does the PL kit have the cylindrical engine pods? TIA

Reply to
frank

Originally, the NCC-1701 Enterprise in the first three movies was the one with the squared engine nacelles. It wasn't until the end of Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home, that another vessel with squared engine nacelles was re-flagged and became the 1701-A Enterprise.

That's why they say the parts are in the kit to build the Star Trek movie (1, 2, 3) NCC-1701 Enterprise. They are not The Original Series (TOS) NCC-1701 Enterprise.

Reply to
RobG

No. This kit represents the Enterprise as seen in the movies: 1701 (I-III) and 1701A (IV-VI). Aside from the overall general shape, the movie Enterprise has almost nothing in common with the TV version.

Reply to
Daniel

Hey, there is a vac form kit out on the TOS model. Rebellion Modules has come out with 3 sections of the model. I seen it on

Check it out. You might be suprised how much it is.

Reply to
William L. Powell

The story was that at the end if its Five Year Mission, which was in effect the first TV series, the Enterprise was refitted with newer engines, apparently at the suggestion of an engineering officer named Scott, then they upgraded the engineering hull and the saucer section which resulted in the film Enterprise. I hope this helps clear things up for you Daniel.

Regards

Gondor

Reply to
Gondor

Reply to
frank

Frank, if you really want a nice, but inexpensive TOS Enterprise, put down the AMT kit and reach for the Polar Lights Enterprise. It is an outstanding kit that is marginally smaller than the AMT kit. It came out around 2003 and includes bits and pieces to make the first pilot TV series version, the second pilot TV series version and the regular TV series version. A much superior kit and under $15.

The old AMT/Ertl kit is 1/650 scale and the PL kit is 1/1000. It includes markings for 5 different ships and the Mirror Universe Enterprise. The PL kit also has a Klingon Battle Cruiser made in the same scale as well as the NX-01 Enterprise from the last series.

Reply to
RobG

No, it's just the movie Enterprise. The shapes of the TV Enterprise and movie Enterprise are too different to allow both to be built from one kit.

In the first movie, the Enterprise was *supposedly* the same ship as in the TV series, but had undergone a massive refit that made it look completely different, including the non-cylindrical engine nacelles. Since it was allegedly the same ship, it had the same number: NCC-1701. It was destroyed in the 3rd movie, so in the 4th movie they took another ship, renamed it Enterprise, and gave it the number NCC-1701A.

At some point in the movies (might have been ST4, but I'm not sure), they made some minor changes to the ship. The 1/350 NCC-1701A kit includes parts to build it as either the original ST-TMP version or the later version.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

"Wayne C. Morris" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@shawnews.wp.shawcable.net:

And the design that was to be used to the second series (that was never made, but planned in the 1970's) had a ship that was halfway between the original design and the movie design. That woud an interesting build. :)

cd (For further detail, a book was published about the show - "STar Trek - Phase II, the lost series" was published by POcket Books, and written by Gar and Judy Reeves-Stevens)

Reply to
Carl Dershem

Right,That ''series'' was under construction with interiors,& maybe that's where the ships' design was wallowing in the mire.What if that series went though?,couple less ST movies,eh?.

Reply to
teem

teem wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hard to tell. The interiors were very similar to what ended up in the first (really bad) movie, but the costumes were from TOS. But the shape of the ship was a blend (except for the one proof of concept model) of the two versions.

I have a feeling that if the series had proceeded (they started with the series idea, and gradually blended to full feature production), the movies would have been delayed at best, adn perhaps never made at all. It all depends on what kind of ratings it got.

cd

Reply to
Carl Dershem

The ''easy'' explaination was Star Wars.Nimoy didnt want a thing to do with that series,Persis,however was being 'fitted' for her role.

Reply to
teem