You folks know of a good Metallic Yellow Paint???

Hello All:

I'm doing a little future planning for an Anime Mecha Kit that I'm going to get around to building in a little while. I'm trying to find an Acrylic (or enamel if I have to) "Metallic Yellow" (or the mixing instructions to create it). Anyone out there know of a compnay that produces one.

Thanks

Darrylbar

Reply to
Darrylbar

Hi Darrryl,

Have you though of using car spray cans? In the UK people regularly use Halfords spray cans and available in wide colour range, including metalic. They also do nice white & grey primers as well.

In the past I've used Mars Red, I think, on a Canadian starfighter and had no problems.

Cheers, Stephen

Reply to
SL

Hello "Old Timer"

Yes, my first thought was gold but as I looked into it a bit more I found that there was indeed a seperate "Metallic Yellow" color. Note, I did find a Patra/Testors Paint but its for Lexan Plastic (RC Model Cars Bodies) only and I don't know how it would work on Styrene plastic (poor adhesion etc.) so I was trying to find another brand or the ability to mix it myself.

What I am really trying to do is to find an a closer alternative paint scheme for my second 1/100 Scale Master Grade Hyaku Shiki kit from Mobile Suit Z-Gundam. The first kit (that I'm in the process of completing) is being done in Testors Bright Gold from the Fantasy Color Line. I like that color but at the same time I was looking for something closer to the Original Anime "Yellow" (on screen color anyway, references still say its gold) but with a hint of a Metallic Quality to it for the second kit.

Thanks

Darrylbar

Reply to
dkbarnes

How about Testors Alumacoupe Yellow? A yellow pearl that looks great over white.

Steve H

Darrylbar wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

I think some people have simulated this effect by using a base coat of metallic silver, with a coat of transparent yellow on top.

HTH, David Bono

Reply to
David Bono

Aside from suggestions here, you may also want to ask in rec.arts.anime.models...

Reply to
EGMcCann

Works fine but it dries matte so you'll need a clear gloss topcoat of some kind.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I was fortunate to pick up some Revell paints when I was stationed in Germany. One of these paints is called "Car Metallic Effect" (#390)It is basically a clear gloss carrier with very fine metal flakes or pearlesence in it. Let the metal flakes settle and scoop out a bit and add it to some Testors Model Master Insignia/Lemon or Chrome yellow enamel. It does not effect the gloss of the paint and the flakes are VERY finely ground.

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

Do you mean "metallic yellow" as in "paint which looks like yellow colored metal - such as brass or gold" or do you mean "metallic yellow" such as "pearlescent yellow color used on automobile bodies and such" ?

In either case, there are plenty of brushable or sprayable paints available.

Most pearlescent yellows need a light color base coat (like white primer) to look good.

Testors Boyd line of colors has a nice "Aluma Coupe Yellow" pearlescent color. I think that Tamiya also has a pearlescent yellow. And, that is just the tip of the iceberg...

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Reply to
Mike G.

Al Superczynski

You may also look at nail varnish as a paint alternative ,Hundreds of pearl colours available .I read that a lot of car modelers use it to get pearlecent colours . I would use a primer under it though.Not too sure what you can use as a thinner .

Reply to
nospam

Lacquer thinner, or even better yet, Gunze Sangyo Mr. Color thinner if you can get it.

Reply to
Al Superczynski