painting a plane

I've just built a 1/4 scale "Sweet and Low" for a friend of mine, and have it all covered in white monocoat, I'm planning on doing a flame on the plane, and was going to do it in red and yellow monocoat, BUT I'm having problems getting the effect I want, the person that I'm building this for suggested painting them on, which was my first plan of action, but with our local hobby store selling enamel paint for 7.99 for a small can and it would take 2 cans of each color, it would cost a little more then the person wants to spend on the paint, BUT, here's the kicker, he said to get the Wal-Mart brand spray paint for .98 a can, and use it, He claims it is fuel proof.

My question is, has anyone here ever used the enamel spray paint from Wal-mart, and will it be fuel proof ????

I would hate to use it, and have the paint later get ruined by fuel, it would make look bad on painting.

thank you

Robert Williams East Tennessee

If you can't fly with the big birds, then stay in the nest.

Reply to
Skybomb

Dunno.

But if you want to experiment, I'll send you a dollar to cover the costs of one can of paint. :o)

I'll be on retreat for a week, so don't expect payment until the end of the month.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

The only way I would use the Wal-Mart spray paint is to apply a polyurethane clear coat over it. I've used the cheapo stuff before, but only to paint the inside of a canopy where fuel won't get to it. If you're serious about painting, spend the bucks and get a spray gun and some of the new epoxy stuff or some automotive paint. Be careful! Some of the automotive paints are very toxic, especially those catalyzed by isocyanate, so paint in a well-ventilated area and use a good respirator.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Safe to say that MOST spray paints are not fuel proof. Clear polyurethanes will be moderately fuel proof so if you can find a clear that is compatible with the rest of the finish, you should be OK. Biggest problem is fuel getting under the clear through a scratch or joint and lifting the whole thing.

Another problem is that these finishes have not been designed for model planes so they can get rather heavy when you get a good, opaque coat on them!

If you have a small compressor, get an auto touch up gun and use automotive base coat/clear coat systems. They are very light and you can get just about any color you can imagine mixed up. It is not cheap but the results are spectacular!

I have used Sherwyn Williams Ultra 7000 and House of Kolor brands with great success.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Even if you scuff up the monokote with a scotch brite pad (A must!), no paint will ever stick to it very well.

Reply to
jeboba

Why don't you just go to one of the vinyl cutting houses and have the flames cut from vinyl. Easy to apply and fuel proof.

Reply to
StarCad

Check out Bill Fulmers page at Custom Graphics

StarCad

Ahh, ya beat me to it!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh