troubles with 3 color corsair

Hello, i'm a a new member. :o)
I'm experiencing some troubles finding the right combination of paints to reproduce a 3 color scheme on my Tamiya 1/72 Corsair "birdcage": this kit is
really good but instructions indicates only spray cans for this paint scheme. I'm using tamiya paints trying to reproduce a VF-17 plane... First attempt was:
top (dark blue): 50% XF-8 blue + 50% XF-18 medium blue + 1 drop of flat black
sides (light blue): 50% XF-18 medium blue + 50% XF-2 white
This was not satistfying: light blue was really too dark, while dark blue wasn't bad, but still missing the right tone. Maybe midnight blue would help? Anyway I removed paint completely - never did it before, i feared of damaging plastic and details, but the result was amazingly good! There's just a little paint filling some panel lines.
So now i'm looking for a different combination of paints to get the correct colors...any help? :o)
TIA :o)
Frankie
Venerabile Frakkia wrote:

Hi Frankie. Welcome to rms.
I've found that Tamiya XF17 is a good match for Non-specular Sea Blue. As for Intermediate Blue, I use Xtracrylix XA1125. To my eye the combination is most convincing.
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=XA1125
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Thanks! :o)

I thought it was too dark, but i'll try using it! :o)
As

Referring to this page:
http://www.themodelcatalogue.com/acatalog/Xtracrylix_acrylic_Paint.html
it is not so different from Tamiya XF-18. What about LifeColor Non Specular Intermediate Blue (FS 35164) ? This should be correct, but i think it needs to be lighter. Comparative sheets associate FS 35164 to Tamiya XF-18, which proved to be wrong... Maybe i used a light paint for Sea Blue and it made Intermediate Blue look darker than expected?! I'm confused! :o) Biggest problem is that looking models on the net made me even more confused: most of them have heavy weathering, so heavy that some have 3 color scheme that seems to be a 2 color scheme... Moreover, i found lots of different combinations and mixing and in the end I still havent seen two corsairs painted the same way... :o)
I think I'm lucky lower surfaces are flat white.... :o)
Frankie