troubles with 3 color corsair

Hello, i'm a a new member. :o)

I'm experiencing some troubles finding the right combination of paints to reproduce a 3 color scheme on my Tamiya 1/72 Corsair "birdcage": this kit is really good but instructions indicates only spray cans for this paint scheme. I'm using tamiya paints trying to reproduce a VF-17 plane... First attempt was:

top (dark blue): 50% XF-8 blue + 50% XF-18 medium blue + 1 drop of flat black

sides (light blue): 50% XF-18 medium blue + 50% XF-2 white

This was not satistfying: light blue was really too dark, while dark blue wasn't bad, but still missing the right tone. Maybe midnight blue would help? Anyway I removed paint completely - never did it before, i feared of damaging plastic and details, but the result was amazingly good! There's just a little paint filling some panel lines.

So now i'm looking for a different combination of paints to get the correct colors...any help? :o)

TIA :o)

Frankie

Reply to
Venerabile Frakkia

Hi Frankie. Welcome to rms.

I've found that Tamiya XF17 is a good match for Non-specular Sea Blue. As for Intermediate Blue, I use Xtracrylix XA1125. To my eye the combination is most convincing.

Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Thanks! :o)

I thought it was too dark, but i'll try using it! :o)

As

Referring to this page:

it is not so different from Tamiya XF-18. What about LifeColor Non Specular Intermediate Blue (FS 35164) ? This should be correct, but i think it needs to be lighter. Comparative sheets associate FS 35164 to Tamiya XF-18, which proved to be wrong... Maybe i used a light paint for Sea Blue and it made Intermediate Blue look darker than expected?! I'm confused! :o) Biggest problem is that looking models on the net made me even more confused: most of them have heavy weathering, so heavy that some have 3 color scheme that seems to be a 2 color scheme... Moreover, i found lots of different combinations and mixing and in the end I still havent seen two corsairs painted the same way... :o)

I think I'm lucky lower surfaces are flat white.... :o)

Frankie

Reply to
Venerabile Frakkia