Question about wooden ship models

What is the honest difference between a $200-300 kit (such as Amati, Mamoli) and a $1000 (Mantua)kit? (assuming similar plank/bulkhead construction) What is the difference between "intermediate" and "advanced" skill levels required? Is it mostly just a finer level of detail, requiring more time and greater patience to assemble?

After all, there is not much there in terms of raw materials, or are prices based on the number of yards of rigging? :)

Reply to
Beachbum

That's the difference - plank on bulkhead vs plank on frame. Buy a $1000 kit, and you'll generally be building a board-for-board replica.

Yup - finer level of detail, sometimes right down to using nails/tacks instead of glue. More time, greater patience, ability to work with smaller, finer details requiring higher level skills...know nautical knot tying, belaying, tying your own ratlines from scratch, threading blocks, linking chains...you name it, in addition from the diff between bow and stern. I've seen some that require the individual nailing of copper hull plates..."museum quality", to be certain. Then there's that pesky import duty...

Bottom line is that you get what you pay for, so you need to research the kit and decide for yourself if you're up to it before you buy.

Reply to
Rufus

You might ant to check out the Ship Model FAQ:

John Kopf

Reply to
John O. Kopf

I personally think all the European ships are much overpriced for their mediocre quality. I find the Model Shipways models a far better deal, with good accuracy and good kit quality.

For simpler ships, small ships and boats the Midwest stuff is really good.

Reply to
Don Stauffer