Wooden ship model kits deliveries to Israel

hi,

Does anyone know of a shop in Europe or the US (or anywhere else, for that matter) that can send woonden ship model kits to Israel? I'm looking for Midwest models mostly since I'm a beginner and was told to start with those.

thanks (-)DF

Reply to
Daft Fox

I don'thave an answer but I have advice from the local ship builder who has a house full of them- he highly recommends plank on plank construction rather than plank on bulkhead.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

I'd call model exp and ask them if they ship to Israel. They do carry the Midwest kits.

Tom, do you mean double planked? There are double planked 'plank >

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Yeah, I think that's it. You build up the hull with planks on bulkheads, smooth it out, then apply the outer layer of planks on top (as opposed to one layer on bulkhead), right? Didn't mean to imply there were no bulkheads.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

construction

You can do a good job with single planking (or double) with a plank-on-bulkhead kit. Just fill in the spaces between the bulkheads with hard balsa. I use 1/2" x1/2" for the job. Then sand the hull smooth and fair the bulkhead sections -which you have to do anyhow if you're going to avoid a lot of kinks in the hull. Once the hull is completely faired, you plank. At that point, there's not much advantage to double planking. The main reason for double-planking is that the bulkheads are usually placed too far apart to create fair lines. Also, the planks tend to dish as you sand them, leaving you with a scalloped hull. Filling in between the bulkheads eliminates those problems.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Suggest you get a catalog from Laughing Whale. Also known as Bluejacket.

probably have the best kits of all and all kits are rated from "Beginner" to expert. The ratings are also meaningful. The Midwest kits are cheaper, good value, and also fairly rated for "beginner" to "expert."

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

thanks for the link! looks like a professional site - I'll email them about deliveries..

thanks again! :-) (-)DF

Reply to
Daft Fox