Kitbashing An Old Classic Structure.

Found an old (1960s) Campbell Produce Shed kit on Ebay about a year ago and finally got around to building it for the layout. The prototype existed in Yorba Linda California for many years, and since I'm modeling southern California it seemed like a natural. It arrived from the seller missing a few pieces, but nothing that couldn't be easily replaced; so I more or less followed the original instructions but substituted more modern detail parts wherever it was possible.

The way-over-scale Campbell windows were replaced with similar-sized Grandt-Line parts, and Grandt-Line NBW casting were also used here and there. The campbell paper shingles were replaced with Northwestern HO scale corrugated iron roofing sheets, A-Line supplied an air- conditioner, Walthers some roof turbines and the unpainted Preiser figures, and Sequoia made the plumbing pipes, a new heater vent, a bunch of fruit boxes, and an electrical meter box as well. I added a coiled-up hose made from very light insulated copper wire, an aluminum- tube roof-drain downpipe, and a couple of birds on the roof as a final touch.

The floor is not painted, just stained a variety of colors to look like a 50-year-old and hard-used floor. I mixed my own paint colors to get the blue, off-white, and light grey color-scheme I wanted, and used four different shades of red-browns over a dirty grey to duplicate the mottled colors on the rusty old corrugated-iron roof.

The Campbell-supplied signage was just printed paper with black lettering on a white background, and looked toy-like; so I made my own signs from sheet plastic and balsa and painted them black with white lettering: a commercial style that was ubiquitous in California up until the early 1950s.

Doesn't look bad for a 50 year old kit, and it captures that distinctive "California commercial architecture" look that I'm trying to duplicate on my layout.

Twibil

Really nice job - maybe could use a few more scuff marks on those white posts, but the only real question I had was the front roof: should there really be a catenary in those chains if they're holding up their load?

Reply to
Steve Caple

What he said and that woman looks like she's going to smack the bald guy clean off the dock!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Good eye, Steve, and I probably should have mentioned that: it's a copy of an actual roof that used to be here in Redlands. At some point the original roof's wooden underpinnings had been replaced/ shored-up with steel trusses (spare Walther's grain bin parts), and that left the old support chains hanging slack and doing no real work.

Why didn't they remove the unneeded chains at that point? Dunno. But probably because it was something that wouldn't have made any structural difference and *would* have cost more money.

I enjoy finding odd little details like that in real life and incorporating them into my layout.

At the other end of the layout I'm planning to duplicate a junkyard/ recycling business that used to exist in San Bernardino during my college years. It incorporated several large and visually interesting cranes, and endless piles of half-sorted junk as well as an actual dedicated Santa Fe siding.

The name? Swear to God, it was "Heap & Heap". (I've got pictures.)

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

That tickled me too. In fact I named the produce shed after George Bach, a short, rotund German immigrant who runs an extremely good German deli about ten miles east of my home.

George has an even shorter and more rotund German wife who's the terror of the deli, and when I saw the picture of the arguing couple in the Walther's flyer I thought "Hey! That's George!" and immediately ordered them.

Serendipity.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

On 5/27/2010 12:55 AM Twibil spake thus:

Nice, very nice. My one nit to pick is one that many, if not most of us get wrong: the lettering on the sign. Problem is, it's really hard to find the correct fonts for these things, unless you make photocopies of actual signs. How did you make the signs, by the way? Individual letters?

I'm always taking pictures of signs to add to my collection. To me, that's as important as any architectural detail.

But aside from that, this is really good stuff.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Oh yeah, that makes sense.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On 5/27/2010 5:53 PM Steve Caple spake thus:

Makes sense (to the building owners IRL) *and* is a nice little touch on the part of the model maker. Twibil's gettin' good.

I spend a lot of time looking at buildings, and I see that kind of thing all over the place.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Super job, I can almost smell the dry rot!

Reply to
Special Agent Melvin Purvis

Sorry.

I think that's my sox.