Me 262 Mistel display

I'm about to build the 1/48 Me 262 Mistel released by Dragon:

and I'm not sure how to display it. The kit detail is good so I like the
idea of leaving some panels like weapons and landing gear open -maybe a jet
engine too- and add wires etc., but this prevents me from displaying it in
the weird mistel configuration: I guess when it was lift the landing gear
was still down, but there is no reason to have the upper plane in place with
guns and engine panels open..maybe extremely late -and uncomfortable-
maintenance?
On the other hand I fear that displaying the bomb and the plane separately,
upper 262 with panels open, somehow misses to reproduce the unusual shape of
mistels, which instead should be the main purpose of building this kit.
Third choice is to completely ignore realism and leave panels open even in a
"ready for take off" situation, but i don't like it at all...
What is your suggestion? :o)
Thanks,
Frankie
Reply to
Venerabile Frakkia
I'm not sure whether this was a real prototype or a "Luft '46" paper project. If it was the latter, it gives you several options. One is in an abandoned semi-derelict state with panels missing or displaced. The other is as a captured machine under inspection. Either way could give a nice diorama with some of the now-plentiful 1:48 figures available - the derelict being examined by GIs parked by an Autobahn, or Luftwaffe personnel showing a more pristine example to their Allied equivalents (this often happened quite quickly, IIRC Eric Brown was being shown over a Me262 by Kurt Welter the same day Germany surrendered!).
Regards,
Moramarth
Reply to
Moramarth
"Moramarth" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
Decal sheet has 2 options, both planes from "KG(J)54, 1945". On the Net I found: . Probably this Mistel should have entered service in summer 1945, but I still haven't found a photo or video showing a real prototype.
One is
On the "Squadron Signal Walk Around Me 262" there is no mention of this prototype, but there is a nice photo of an abandoned Me 262A-1 from KG(J)54 captured by US soldiers at Giebelstadt air base, Bavaria, in April 1945. Starboard engine and weapon panels are open or missing, left main wheel and canopy are missing too.
It could be a good starting point, but I don't like abandoned planes dioramas: they make me sad! :o) I like more the "captured-plane-under-inspection" option: Allied soldiers have no crane ready to lower the 262, so they simply examine it using ladders or even going up a truck hood, someone talking to surrendered luftwaffe personnel or something like this....?
Why I can't just open the box and build the plane like everybody else? Why? Why??? Anyone knows? :o)
Frankie
Reply to
Venerabile Frakkia
Interesting discover: I just noticed that the box contains a second fuselage for Me 262 *in addition to the bomb*. I also have a second cockpit, missing only photoetched seatbelts. Double wings, stabilizers and engines are for the bomb, but I still have the chance to build a second complete fuselage. With some patience and work I can add a cannibalized Schwalbe to the scene!
I'm upset! =:o)
Frankie
Reply to
Venerabile Frakkia
I might go the route of scratch building a cane and displaying it with the crane hoisting the 262 into place...Space Shuttle style...
...but then you have to find info on the appropriate crane and hoisting fixtures.
Reply to
Rufus
Tamiya do a 1:48 WWII US Army Infantry at rest set which contains several figures which are suitably posed for this, it even has a Jeep in the set. Suitable Luftwaffe personnel are also available but I can't recall the manufacturer.
Because we're artists, and want to put our mark on what we build?
Cheers,
Moramarth
Reply to
Moramarth
"Rufus" ha scritto nel messaggio news:Qgmhl.497842$TT4.345840@attbi_s22...
The book " Mistel - the piggy-back aircraft of the Luftwaffe" brings both good and bad news: In the whole book there isn't photo evidence of cranes used to lift the upper plane. Moreover, it says Me 262 Mistel plan was not realized.... Good news is there are several inspiring photos and some shows abandoned Fw 190 / Ju 88 Mistel with open cowling and / or lowered landing gear:
I really love this photo! :o)
This weekend I drew some sketches of possible dioramas, but I'm not satisfied with them: I don't like concrete runways for WW2 aircraft, so after watching more photos I'm contemplating the idea of a Mistel parked aside of the runway in a grassy area, partially camouflaged with green nets and covers as seen above, only one gun panel open (to keep the Schwalbe's beautiful profile intact) and lowered landing gear, maybe one Grossbombe engine cowling missing; two ladders of different length, some tall trees in the background and GIs all around climbing on wings and taking pictures. :o) The Mistel + trolley is 29 cm long and 26 wide, so the base could be...40x35 cm? I like the pose of Tamiya soldiers, but considering that the subject is the Mistel, I changed my mind about putting in the scene the jeep and the wrecked 262: they would draw attention away from the Mistel and make the scene too crowded and confused even on a bigger base. Some curious kids in US uniform will be enough to animate the scene! :o)
The second fuselage will be kept as a backup in case of major disasters...and maybe it will become (along with the jeep) a little diorama of a wrecked and cannibalized Schwalbe....in a decade or 2, when I'll learn to make heavy weathering! :o)
Two more things i noticed "exploring" the box: swastikas are not included, but I can paint them easily. Besides, the second paint scheme - all light blue with olive drab spots - has side view only, so I need a top view to paint it correctly! Anyway, since this Mistel has never flown, I have the opportunity to paint any existing scheme I like... :o)
Frankie
Reply to
Venerabile Frakkia

Site Timeline