What's in an ARF kit

OK, I know what an ARF kit is but what would you normally expect to find included in most ARFs? I'm talking about things like fuel tanks, engine mount etc.

I'm reasonably new to the hobby and in the process of acquiring the bits and pieces for a trainer. I'm planning on acquiring the Seagull Boomerang to go with an OS40LA. I'm sourcing some TX/RX gear from an instructor or, alternatively obtaining something like a JR 500 set.

I have someone giving me good advice and an instructor helping with acquiring radio gear and eventual flight training BUT it never hurts to seek other opinions and info.

Reply to
The Raven

ARFs vary in their completeness. Most of them have the engine mount, tank, wheels, pushrods and other hardware such as wheel collars, horns, clevises, etc.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Most have everything you need minus the glue, engine, radio and tools.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

...and thE skill to fly it :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most ARF kits come with everything but the engine and radio gear. Some come with spinners, most dont.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

When I was starting out I bought an ARTF (Ready 2) which said it had everything except the engine and radio gear. So I added these items to the online order. Then I found that I also needed glue, (epoxy & CA), a glow plug, a prop and an extra servo because it used 1 for each wing. Makes sense now but at the time I was a bit pissed off because I really though I had ordered everything needed in the one hit. Instead I incurred a delay in building and extra delivery charges.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Lambert

When I was starting out I bought an ARTF (Ready 2) which said it had everything except the engine and radio gear. So I added these items to the online order. Then I found that I also needed glue, (epoxy & CA), a glow plug, a prop and an extra servo because it used 1 for each wing. Makes sense now but at the time I was a bit pissed off because I really though I had ordered everything needed in the one hit. Instead I incurred a delay in building and extra delivery charges.

Nick =======================

Some of the mail order web sites list what's included and what's required for completion (Tower Hobbies does), but it's not an all inclusive list. They'll list out a bunch of items, plus "tools and building equipment", which could be anything.

More and more of the distributors are putting the instruction manuals online. This is a huge help because you get specifics of what you still need to buy and can see the assembly steps before you spend any money.

Carrell

Reply to
Carrell

The Boomerang by ( or thats what it sells as in the UK) comes as 2 forms of artf, one is the model minus electronics and engine, the other is a complete kit all you need to do is glue the wings together, add the tail plane and maybe set up the servo's and charge it all up.

Sells for around £200, with the engine and radio in, using hitec gear.

See

No I don't work for them just using them as a link..

Reply to
gavin

This is exactly what I want to avoid, although I realise there will always be that something else to get.

Reply to
The Raven

The Boomerang is actually what I'm looking at. The aircraft itself will suffice, I'll source the other bits elsewhere. Just want to make sure I have a list of "other bits".

Reply to
The Raven

Exactly. Most instructions include a list of items not in the kit.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
GaijinGig

"This kit does not contain nuts?"

Is that the sort of list you had in mind?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I just finished builing a Seagull Models Extra 300. Great kit! I thin

it is the best ARF I have ever bought. ( I usually stick build) It wa so complete the motor mount is installed, and the push rods are in. Fo the ailerons, there is a little panel with four screws. You pull it ou to mount the servos. Basically the only work I found on the plane wa carving out the cowl to allow the motor/muffler. If you go electric yo don't need to worry about that. You NEED 30 minute epoxy for the win halves. The rest was 5 minute epoxy. Oh yeah, if you go gas, get a new fuel tank. The stock one is a hole tank. I think a 2 hole tank and a fuel fill bypass... Thing? i great. Otherwise getting to the line for filling would be difficult Good luck!

- darren

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums Visit us at

darrenb

Nope I've not got skis. I would be tempted to try them but we don't get much snow here.

I built mine myself. Not too difficult but the instructions were a little thin on textual info. Plenty of pictures helped.

Yes I did start out with an instructor but have been solo for the best part of a year now. The Ready 2 was my first plane and is still going strong after a year of regular flying. I've increased all the throws to liven it up. It's a really good plane to start out with. It flies a lot better than most of the balsa trainers at our club.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Lambert