Preliminary flight training

OK, If you missed my previous post I'm a newbie collecting the bits and pieces that will lead up to instructor lead flight training through a local club.

In the interim, are there any good links that people can recommend that covers basic RC flight theory? In particular stuff that cover some of the following topics:

  1. Flight surfaces
  2. Servo setups and other aircraft "mechanics"
  3. TX operation (general)
  4. Engine starting, tuning, basic operation
  5. Taxi-ing and Take off
  6. Basic flight manueouvers (incl. terminology)
  7. Landing
  8. Post flight maintenance.

I'm sure there are other topics I've missed so feel free to let me know.

In particular, I'd like to learn as much basic theory as possible while I get ready for any practical.

Reply to
The Raven

I don't have any particular ones in mind, but a good place to start browsing no matter what R/C topic you're looking for is Alan Tong's excellent collection of links at .

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Cant miss with Alans links...

Another thing that never ceases to amaze me is that a quick google search will come up with loads of useful stuff...try it sometime.

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

Here is another good site for this kind of information:

Red Scholefield AMA 951 District V

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Do a Google search for "Beginner's Guide to RC Flight".

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

It wouldn't hurt to have a sound understanding of how it is that airplanes do what they do.

The definitive classic text on flying is "Stick And Rudder : An Explanation of the Art of Flying", by Wolfgang Langewiesche.

A goodly portion is applicable to 1:1 operations, and therefore not of much value to sub-1:1 aircraft, but the theory portions are invaluable.

If you don't understand what the flight control surfaces do (and don't) you cannot understand why your model did what it did (or didn't).

Not expensive, and it could well save you countless bucks on repairs. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

...but "See how it flies" looks good, too, and is published in its entirety on the web, at .

As for aerodynamic theory with direct application to model aircraft, the classical text is, of course, Martin Simons: "Model Aircraft Aerodynamics", ISBN: 1854861905. Warmly recommended.

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Thankyou very much for the reference. I'm not a pilot or anything like that but I am an aviation enthusiast who's had the odd minute of stick time on

1:1 aircraft so I'm familiar with flight surfaces etc.

I'm approaching this hobby with the mindset that it's not just about hurling "toy planes" around, it's serious flight albeit in a smaller scale.

Reply to
The Raven

Get a simulator. Realflight is best. FMS is free.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Brilliant link, thankyou very much.

The Raven