Which clamping kit

I just got myself a nice Millrite mill. It cames with no clamping kit. I remember someone here mentioned that quality clamping kit makes a huge difference. Can anyone recommend me any good kit?

Thanks

Reply to
Alex

I bought a Teco set recently (BP size) that seems pretty decent and better finished than the "quality" import bought from J&L about 8 years ago. It was around $100 from Enco, I think. I'm not sure what the consensus opinion is, but try to get a set that has the holes on the bottoms of the T-nuts closed a bit so that the studs can't be rotated through them to the press against the bottom of the T-slots on your table. The T-nuts are cheap enough to replace if you get a decent clamp set with through threaded T-nuts.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Does any one know if a clamping set for Bridgeport will work for Millrite?

Reply to
Alex

I vote for Teco. Good stuff.

Measure your table slots. If they're 5/8", order a set with 1/2" bolts. That's the Bridgeport sized one.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

My T-slot is 11/16 MSC sells TECO set in 11/16 for $195. A little steep for a clamping set.

Grant Erw>

Reply to
Alex

AMF

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Measure the width of the Tee slots.

Most, if not all the clamping kits list the width of the tee slot as part of the sales literature.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Wait until they go on sale - they go on sale all the time. Check Enco.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Can you get T-nuts (only) that fit your mill and will take 1/2-13 studs? If so, buy the BP set and then order seperate T-nuts. That should be a lot cheaper than the 11/16" set.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

I just got a Millrite (from Steve Smith, who lives 3.5 hours north of me).

One thing I have discovered is that the three T-slots are not exactly the same size, and that they differ slightly from current sizes. I assume that the Millrite was made to the then standard for T-slots, and that the T-slot standard has since changed.

The throats of the slots are all 0.6865" minimum width, which is nominally 5/8". Half-inch hardware will fit, but doesn't spread the clamping load as widely as it should. Anyway, the slots are quite consistent, as is the height of the undercut part (0.403"), the big difference being in the width of the undercut part. The three widths are 1.157", 1.162", and 1.132".

Another, minor issue is the burr that forms at the underside corner of the slot, narrowing that slot. The solution is to remove this burr with a file.

Anyway, I've had no problem with current 5/8-inch "T-Slot Bolts" (with the forged heads), but I've had to cut down some 5/8-inch "T-Bolts" and metric M16 by 18mm "T-Slot Nuts" to fit. These are MSC catalog numbers

01841832, 77416337, and 03789575, on big-book pages 1073 to 1075.

By current T-slot standards, the M16 T-slot nut should have fit, but I had to thin the slot part by 0.005" on each face, and remove the slot burr.

It's easy to mill these nuts and bolts down to size on the Millrite, using a HSS mill and black sulfurized cutting oil, as the steel is tempered for toughness, not hardness.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Years ago when I had my mill drill it had 9/16 slots and I bought a cheepie import set from ENCO for about $30 and wasn't disappointed at all. FWIW they were 1/2-13 and even had the 'damaged' thread on the bottoms so you couldn't screw through them. A year ago when I bought the BP I made my own nuts from scrap kicking around.... I'm still using the same set...

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

Don't get too exact on sizing T nuts. On my Millrite I had a few that needed to be ground down to fit.

Steve

Alex wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Alex, I bet the narrowest part of the slot isn't 1 1/16".... really large for a Millrite if so.

Steve

Alex wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Steve,

you are right. I was measuring bottom of the slot. Slot itself is 0.68"

Steve Smith wrote:

Reply to
Alex