Kurt vise question

I've got a 6" vise that looks exactly like Kurt but doesn't have any nameplate. Guy who owned it before me claims that it's a genuine Kurt. I want to find out if it's a Kurt or a clone. Can anyone give me some tips on how to identify a clone?

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Alex

um why does it matter?

Reply to
erik litchy

Reply to
William Noble

Reply to
Alex

Not all Kurts had a nameplate pinned to them. Many have a die stamp on the side of the movable jaw. The D-60 comment is very correct though. It does make a difference because the clones are generally crooked and my Dad had one of his guys bend a 6" clone by tightening it too tight. Leigh at MarMachine>

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN

Mine is the clone. No D-60 or any other stamps on the bottom. Does it also mean that my vise won't press down a workpiece when clamping it down like Kurt does?

snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM wrote:

Reply to
Alex

Take it apart a look for the down force feature. It is a simple device, just a 45 degree wedge with a ball pushing on it. One of the main problems with the clones is they aren't good enough copies to accept the many vise jaw options, handles, etc. offered for Kurt vises. It is a real piss-off to have to make soft jaws every time you need them because your vise is a silly millimeter different. Leigh at MarMachine

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN