Kurt clone advice sought

I can sell you a used real 6" Kurt vise and I can give you a sizable rec.crafts.metalworking discount. I have it on eBay right now, you can buy it for 30% less than my buy it now price.
Ignoramus9506
comes with swivel base.
Ignoramus9506
I paid $200 for a used 6 inch Kurt to a local machinery supplier, and later $50 for a swivel base - you should be able to get them for the same (I went to Skulsky machinery which is near me)
Reply to
William Noble
I'm thinking of buying a new milling vice. A 4" would work fine, and i
suppose a 6" would also fit, but nothing larger.
While Kurt sets the standard, it's pretty dear, unless one scores on
eBay.
There are a number of Kurt clones, some of which cost almost as much as
the real thing. (What were they thinking?)
Anyway, I'm interested in peoples' experience with the various clones.
Which are good, which are bad, and why.
Thanks to all.
Joe Gwinn
Reply to
Joseph Gwinn
I've had the ubiquitous 6" Chinese clone for quite some time, maybe 10 years. It was accurate and square, and works well. I suspect a real Kurt may lock down just a little better, but this one does quite well. The swivel base is total crap, and I removed it pretty quickly, as it allowed the vise to rock. I can't vouch for the new ones, 10 years later.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson
320091949497 ?
Reply to
clutch
My standard are these:
Out of reach for me. Have worked with them, they are great! Power intensifier built in. No need for a long handle.
Be seated when reading the price.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
I am interested. Is it eBay item 320091949497? It sure sounds like you.
Please contact me by email. Address is real.
Joe Gwinn
Reply to
Joseph Gwinn
email sent
Ignoramus510
--I've been using a Kurt clone for years; it finally bit the dust when one of the two 1/2"-13 threaded jaw attachment holes stripped out on the movable portion. I'm planning to get a Kurt to replace it. The other thing to know about the knock-offs is that the distance between the 1/2" holes is probably some weird-ass metric number; 93.5mm comes to mind. Best thing to do is to measure this precisely, then stamp it onto the top of the vise. The next time you need to make soft jaws you'll be glad you wrote the number down. --As for the 4" vises yes, the Kurts cost a bundle, but the company stands behind their product and if it ever has a problem they'll fix it. Had something go bad in mine and it came back good as new. Not cheap, the fix, but worth it when I consider how many parts I'm cranking out with it... I've yet to see a decent 4" knock-off. My favorite small vise was the one made for the old Clausing milling machines, but I haven't seen one in a looong time. Check around used machinery dealers and you might get lucky..
Reply to
steamer
Howard is on my speed dial.
Gunner
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A. Heinlein
Reply to
Gunner Asch
I have an Enco 4 inch knock off... It served me well for quite a long time...
But one day I needed to remove the jaws... and when I went to put them back, try as I might they wouldn't align correctly, just at the last second after dialing them in, when I went for the final torque down, they'd move... I finely took them off and did a close inspection.. lo and behold the holes in the jaws were not flat bottomed like they had been counterbored, they were cone shaped like the tip of a drill bit!!! (try holding that that with an allen bolt and see what ya get)....
All I can assume is that they bolt the jaws on and then do a final grind on them in place... (can you say cheap!)
My 'quick and dirty' solution was to machine some brass plugs, (coned on one end, flat on the other).. and pressed em in... Volia ...
FWIW I've had the vise for over 10 years and it's been OK, but it sure ain't no Kurt.. :-)
--.- Dave
Reply to
Dave August
I just bought 3 matching allmatics at a local auction for $45 ea :)
Reply to
Jon
I believe it. Kurt will be jealous.
They look very nice, but I've not seen them here.
Joe Gwinn
Reply to
Joseph Gwinn
Dammit! *That* is tool gloat!
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
If that is so, please pick 6 non repeating numbers between 1 and 47 for me. ;)
Wes
Reply to
clutch
I don't know which clones are better than others. But if you buy a clone, I recommend you disassemble it and clean up the ball and socket buried inside. If you do that, it will take less force to tighten the vise and it will work well.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster
To buy even more Allmatics? :-)
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
I bought a *drill* vice that was at the right size. Sides ground to size and angle, so it could be laid on the side. Problem was -as expected- the quick-clamping mechanism was not good enough for milling. Parts simply fell out after some minutes of milling. So I threw that stuff away and replaced it with an ACME rod. Also got a (recycled) axial needle bearing (that is really the trick*)) and I am *very* happy with it now. Replaceable jaws, parallel to within 1/100 mm etc.
The vise cost me 300.- EUR new plus a bit for the ACME and the nut and some work for the knurled handle and a part to hold the ACME nut.
*) Close it with a spanner as hard as you can (it will deform brass) but open it without any tools. That axial needle bearing is really a great improvement and gives *much* higher clamping forces. No parts moved during work until now.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
Wes, those 6" or so vises are heavy and expensive to ship, so you'd need to look locally. Do you have local liquidations/bankruptcy auctions going on?
Ignoramus24277